90045 Trending
392 views | +0 today
Follow
90045 Trending
Real estate & lifestyle news from Westchester 90045, curated by Westchester CA realtor and lifestyle expert Tracy Thrower Conyers.
Curated by REtrending
Your new post is loading...
Your new post is loading...
Scooped by REtrending
July 28, 2013 5:29 PM
Scoop.it!

Playa Vista: Incubator School awarded national grant

Playa Vista: Incubator School awarded national grant | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

A Los Angeles Unified School District pilot school has been selected to receive a $100,000 “Next Generation Learning Challenges Breakthrough Schools Grant.”

The Incubator School, which will be colocating on the campus of Playa Vista Elementary School this fall, is one of 30 schools nationwide to receive the national grant.

I'm rooting for this little school, but I'm skeptical. They are a "pilot" school within LAUSD. Pilot schools are public LAUSD schools which are supposed to have autonomy over budget, staffing, governance, curriculum & assessment and the school calendar. If it works, I'll be the first to sing the praises of LAUSD (and anybody who knows me knows this is a big offer :-) ).

For more about the Incubator School, go to www.incubatorschool.org.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 28, 2013 4:48 PM
Scoop.it!

Probe of possible conflicts of interest on Westchester-Playa council requested

Probe of possible conflicts of interest on Westchester-Playa council requested | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

From the Argonaut:

"The topic of potential conflicts of interest was the most attention-grabbing event on an agenda that was light on substantive matters at the Neighborhood Council of Westchester-Playa’s July 9 meeting.

Playa del Rey environmentalist Marcia Hanscom accused two members of the board of having ethical conflicts because they work for entities connected with projects that could eventually be brought before the council.

Thomas Flintoft, a lobbyist with Kindal Gagen, a Los Angeles public affairs and lobbying firm, and Geoff Maleman, who runs a Westchester public relations firm, have been hired to represent the Annenberg Foundation and are the two members whom Hanscom cited in her remarks to the council.

The nonprofit organization hopes to build a 46,000-square foot, $50 million nature center in a location known as Area C of the Ballona Wetlands near Culver Boulevard. The interpretive center would include an auditorium, classrooms, a public lobby, exhibits on wildlife and domestic animals, facilities for an animal adoption and care program and veterinary facilities for animals."

For the full story, click through the photo.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 28, 2013 4:10 PM
Scoop.it!

Backstreet Boys Concert (Free)

Backstreet Boys Concert (Free) | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

The scoop from Red Tricycle:

"Backstreet’s Back – all right!  You may not want to admit it, but chances are pretty good that Backstreet Boys was on heavy rotation on your 13 year old self’s play list.  Well, a lot has changed since then (for the better, right?), but you may still have a little fondness in your heart for the Boys.  So come hear them in a free concert that you can bring the kids to at the Grove.  Why?  We want it that way…"

July 31st at 7 pm

For more information, visit www.thegrovela.com or click through the photo.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 27, 2013 10:36 PM
Scoop.it!

Bank Repossesses Wrong House

Bank Repossesses Wrong House | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

"Katie Barnett, a resident of MacArthur, OH, claims that a bank she doesn’t belong tobroke into her house while she was on vacation and either took or destroyed most of her possessions. First National Bank in Wellston had meant to foreclose and repossess a house across the street andblames its GPS for the mix-up."

Click through the photo for the full story.

REtrending's insight:

Oh, this is why we don't go on vacation? Make sure somebody is watching your house when you're away ....

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 26, 2013 5:43 PM
Scoop.it!

Summer Rocks with Garden Concerts at The Getty

Summer Rocks with Garden Concerts at The Getty | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it
Who said summer was nearly over? It may be August, but you can ignore those “back-to-school” signs a little longer because the party is just getting started with Garden Concerts at The Getty.

Click through the photo for the full story, including information on admission, food and parking.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 26, 2013 5:12 PM
Scoop.it!

Explore The Ballona Wetlands Tomorrow!

Explore The Ballona Wetlands Tomorrow! | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

"Drop by for an Open House of the Ballona Wetlands. Walk the trail, see new sights, and deepen your understanding of the wetlands with hands-on activities led by MRCA Junior Ranger graduates.  These local high school students have recently completed a 10 week course on the wetlands and are eager to share their knowledge."

Saturday, July 27th | 1 pm

Ballona Wetlands Ecological Reserve - Fiji Gateway across the street from 13813 Fiji Way, Marina del Rey, CA. Parking is in the dirt lot.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 24, 2013 10:00 PM
Scoop.it!

Manhattan Beach Invites Chevron To A Town Hall Meeting

Manhattan Beach Invites Chevron To A Town Hall Meeting | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

"Did you know that Chevron's El Segundo Refinery supplies over 20% of the motor vehicle fuels consumed in Southern California, and 40% of the jet fuel at LAX?

Chevron takes great pride in the refinery’s 100-year history and relationship with the community. They have been invited to Manhattan Beach to provide an update on their facility, including an overview of the regulatory structure under which they operate, emergency preparedness and response, and their ongoing environmental stewardship, technology and energy efficiency initiatives. 

Join the City of Manhattan Beach on...."

Click through the logo for the full story.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 24, 2013 7:46 PM
Scoop.it!

Why Didn't I Invent This? Removable Wallpaper For Your Kids' Room

Why Didn't I Invent This? Removable Wallpaper For Your Kids' Room | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it
You're agonizing over your kids' room decor. Do you go with blue paint, yellow paint, or abstract wallpaper? The possibilities are endless and you continue to psyche yourself out over what seems like a totally permanent choice.

Click through the photo for 12 removable wallpaper ideas.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 23, 2013 10:42 AM
Scoop.it!

Kentwood Players Now Playing - "Lend Me a Tenor"

Kentwood Players Now Playing - "Lend Me a Tenor" | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

Kentwood Players' current live-stage Comedy is "Lend Me a Tenor" by Ken Ludwig.

From the Kentwood Players website:

"On a historic night at the Cleveland Opera Company, world famous tenor Tito Merelli is set to perform Otello. Through a series of mishaps, misunderstandings and mistaken identities, Tito receives a double dose of tranquilizers causing the House Manager and his timid assistant to believe he is dead and setting off a chain reaction of slapstick and hilarious escapades. A fun and laugh filled evening!"

Click through the photo for dates, cast information and ticket buying links.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 21, 2013 5:32 PM
Scoop.it!

10 places for "fast" food that won't leave you singing the fast food blues....

10 places for "fast" food that won't leave you singing the fast food blues.... | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

We knew this list was a winner when we saw a couple of our personal favorite, but kind of obscure, choices.

We haven't tried the whole list, but we highly recommend Starbucks, Clementine, Veggie Grill and Gaby's as places to grab a quick meal that won't leave you singing the fast food blues.

Click through the photo for the full list.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 18, 2013 10:38 AM
Scoop.it!

Meet Our New Councilman Tonight - Bonin to Hold Community Office Hours in 90045

Meet Our New Councilman Tonight - Bonin to Hold Community Office Hours in 90045 | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

"Councilman Mike Bonin will hold 'office hours' in the community, meeting with constituents at a Westchester diner and two Westside farmers markets, he said Tuesday.

'City Hall can seem pretty far away, and I want to do everything I can to bring it to our neighborhoods,' said Bonin, who assumed office July 1.

Bonin will be at the IHOP Restaurant in Westchester, 8600 S. Sepulveda Blvd., from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday; the Del Rey Farmers Market, 461 Alla Road, from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday, and the Pacific Palisades Farmers Market, 1037 Swarthmore Ave., from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday.

'By hosting open office hours on weekends and evenings, at times convenient for members of working families, we can be sure that we engage people in local government,' Bonin said.

The office hours are part of Bonin's Access 11 initiative, which he launched shortly after assuming office. He plans to host hikes, service fairs, coffee klatches and go door-to-door and connect with residents via Skype and Facetime."

For more local news from the Marina del Rey Patch, click through the photo.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 17, 2013 11:39 AM
Scoop.it!

Bernanke: Fed flexible on economic stimulus - NBC News.com

Bernanke: Fed flexible on economic stimulus - NBC News.com | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

"Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said the central bank could begin tapering bond purchases aimed at boosting the economy later this year. But he stressed that could change, depending on how the economy performs.

In prepared remarks for his semiannual monetary report before the House financial services committee, the Fed chairman said, "With unemployment still high and declining only gradually, and with inflation running below the Committee's longer-run objective, a highly accommodative monetary policy will remain appropriate for the foreseeable future."

Bernanke said that if the incoming economic data confirms a strengthening labor market and inflation moving back toward the central bank's 2 percent target, "We anticipated that it would be appropriate to begin to moderate the monthly pace of purchases later this year."

But he emphasized that this plan is not a "preset course."

REtrending's insight:

Does anybody else think this wishy-washy maybe this-maybe that stance is hurting more than it's helping??

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 16, 2013 1:05 PM
Scoop.it!

It's Hot Out There - LA County Cooling Center Info - Living90045.com

It's Hot Out There - LA County Cooling Center Info - Living90045.com | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it
It’s hot, hot, hot out there, but LA County offers Cooling Centers to help you survive the summer heat.

For more information, call the LA County Information line at 2-1-1. Information is also available from our downloadable document furnished by the LA County Public Health Department (click through the photo).

This document covers the entire county, so share it with an elderly friend. :-)

For more details and to find the closest Cooling Center to 90045, click through the photo.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 28, 2013 5:05 PM
Scoop.it!

Westchester Woman’s Club donates $33,000 to charities

Westchester Woman’s Club donates $33,000 to charities | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

The Westchester Woman’s Club awarded a total of $33,000 in donations to local charity organizations during Spring 2013. Recipients included the Airport Marina Counseling Service, Bob Hope USO and the LAX Food Pantry, among others.

For the full story and names of the club's board, click through the photo.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 28, 2013 4:35 PM
Scoop.it!

The Tripel hits a home run

The Tripel hits a home run | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

Three things caught my attention about this restaurant review from The Argonaut: (1) Brooke Williamson's name (my fan fave on the Seattle edition of Top Chef); (2) Playa del Rey; and (3) moderately priced. OK, the picture and the headline helped.

From the review:

"The Tripel is named after a strong, fruity pale ale that is a Belgian specialty, and a few items on the menu celebrate the famously good food of that country, but most of the menu is modern American, the creations of Top Chef runner-up Brooke Williamson. Williamson has an amazing resume that includes ...."

Click through that delicious photo for the full review from Richard Foss.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 28, 2013 4:00 PM
Scoop.it!

20 Cool Ways to Beat the Heat

20 Cool Ways to Beat the Heat | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it
Sometimes it’s too darn hot to head outside.  Sure, the kids are dying to hit the playground, head to the beach or just run around the back yard.  But now that the cooling cover of June gloom is a mere memory and the dog days of August push the temps...

REtrending's comment, July 28, 2013 4:02 PM
We're lucky to have such moderate temps in 90045 in the summer, but who couldn't use a couple of extra ideas for family-friendly summer activities??
Scooped by REtrending
July 27, 2013 10:20 PM
Scoop.it!

Just give me the Housefax

Just give me the Housefax | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

"Housefax, a service that offers comprehensive property reports to potential buyers, launched nationally this month. For $59, prospective homebuyers can download a report that shows the histories of homes' building permits and mortgage information; fire, flood, sinkhole and meth lab hazards; and other important residential property records. Also included are aspects of a home like cell phone coverage, heating and air conditioning use, and local fuel prices."

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 26, 2013 5:34 PM
Scoop.it!

Just In Time For The Weekend - 7 Playful Pancake Recipes

Just In Time For The Weekend - 7 Playful Pancake Recipes | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it
They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and we totally agree. Sometimes, however, regular old cereal and milk can be kind of a drag for our kids (and us!).

Click through the photo for a yummy slideshow of pancake goodness! Definitely don't miss the bacon dipped in pancake batter slide. 

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 26, 2013 4:51 PM
Scoop.it!

Renters Thinking More about Owning a Home, Say Homeownership is a Top Priority

Renters Thinking More about Owning a Home, Say Homeownership is a Top Priority | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

Americans overwhelmingly believe owning a home is a good financial decision and a majority of renters say homeownership is one of their highest priorities for the future, according to a survey by the National Association of Realtors®.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 24, 2013 8:47 PM
Scoop.it!

Important Meeting Tomorrow Regarding Light Rail In 90045 - Living90045.com

Important Meeting Tomorrow Regarding Light Rail In 90045 - Living90045.com | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

We asked for it and it looks like we’re getting it. Light rail is coming to Westchester.

For the latest information on the project, join your neighbors tomorrow night for the Quarterly Meeting of the Crenshaw/LAX Transit Corridor Project Community Leadership Council (CLC).

For meeting details, click through the photo.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 24, 2013 7:20 PM
Scoop.it!

10 Must Have Apps for 90045 Parents

10 Must Have Apps for 90045 Parents | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

"Most moms today have their smart phones glued to the palm of their hand. Uses range from texting (darling hubby:  please pick up pizza for dinner, stat) to game playing (level 70 of Candy Crush is crazy). But while out and about with kiddos in the concrete jungle, it’s nice to rely on the smart phone for other things – like finding new ways to entertain the kids or the perfect spot for a family lunch. Check out these super helpful smart phone apps that will make your life navigating the city a little easier. You’ll wonder how you lived without them."

My personal favorite on the list is Charmin's "Sit or Squat" bathroom finder. Click through the photo for the full list.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 23, 2013 10:34 AM
Scoop.it!

Westchester Babe Ruth Teams Advance to Pacific Regional Championship

Westchester Babe Ruth Teams Advance to Pacific Regional Championship | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

"Westside Baseball’s Westchester Babe Ruth’s 15U and 14U teams won their respective State Championships this past week, and each now advance to the Pacific Southwest Regional Championships in Arizona this weekend.

Westchester Babe Ruth encompasses players from Culver City, Westchester, Hawthorne, Ladera, Inglewood, Playa del Rey, Santa Monica, Venice, and various areas in Los Angeles."

Click through the photo for the play by play.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 21, 2013 4:43 PM
Scoop.it!

On Our Summer Bucket List: Host a “Yes” Day

On Our Summer Bucket List: Host a “Yes” Day | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it
“Mom, I want to wear my princess costume to school!”  “No.” “Mom, can I have chocolate ice cream for breakfast?”  “No!” “Mom… I was just going to see if I can fly if I jump from this branch… just like a bird!

What if just for a day, you put your "yes" cap on, Mom? Click through the photo for the full story on Red Tricycle's website.

REtrending's insight:

Anybody want to try this with me in 90045. I love the idea in theory, but I have a feeling it's going to require moral support in practical application. =-D

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 17, 2013 11:57 PM
Scoop.it!

Why I Don't Give My Kids a Multivitamin

Why I Don't Give My Kids a Multivitamin | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it
While my kids don't eat a perfect diet, I don't give my kids multivitamins to be their nutritional saving grace either. Why?

Click through the photo for an interesting perspective from a neighbor from 90066.

No comment yet.
Scooped by REtrending
July 16, 2013 1:48 PM
Scoop.it!

Dated Data? Zillow Responds (Z)

Dated Data? Zillow Responds (Z) | 90045 Trending | Scoop.it

Spencer is unconcerned by a rival's report criticizing the quality of Zillow's listings. He points out a series of strengths that the report doesn't take into account, as well as the company's database of 110 million homes.

No comment yet.