Robin Good: Choosing an eBook publishing service is not easy. There are many important variables at play, and taking them all into account, if you are doing this for the first time, is not easy.
Jane Friedman, has written a valuable article, analizyng and trying to answer each one of the key question any independent small publisher should ask before diving into publishing his next eBook.
Here the ten key questions you should be asking:
"1. Is the service exclusive or nonexclusive?
2. If it’s exclusive, what’s the term of the contract?
3. Do you control the price?
4. What’s the upfront fee and/or how is the royalty calculated?
5. Are there hidden fees or charges?
6. What file formats do they accept?
7. Who owns the e-book files after they are created?
8. Are DRM protections or proprietary formats involved?
9. Where is your e-book distributed?
10. Can you make changes to your e-book after it goes on sale?"
If you are looking to get specific advice and tips on each one of these questions, this article is for you.
Via Robin Good