Climate change could have a crushing effect on the global economy... But there are reasons for hope, if we act quickly. Here are eight signs that it's still possible to turn things around and create a low-carbon future.
1. We already know how to engineer zero-carbon buildings.
2. We are finally entering the age of the electric car.3. We are using more renewables, and less coal, than ever before.
4. States are showing that it's possible to make policies that both cut carbon emissions and create jobs.
5. Cities are facing the consequences of climate change and taking action.
6. The president is ready to take action, at home and internationally.
7. China wants clean air and clean energy.
8. Renewable energy is on the rise around the world.
These are major milestones, and this is an important moment. We are a long way from solving the climate problem, but the threads of success are coming together. We need to find a way to seize these opportunities, reduce our emissions, and dramatically expand the low-carbon economy during the next few years.