10 vocabulary words with definitions. The words are also used in a sentence.
|Scooped by Steven Peoples|
1. Genocide- the deliberate killing of a large group of people, esp. those of a particular ethnic group or nation.
- Whether we go to war or commit genocide is a choice, too.
2. Allies- a group of nations taking military action together, in particular the countries that fought with the US in World War I and World War II.
- The United States has enlisted allies in blocking both Libya and Sudan from gaining seats on the council.
3. International Military Tribunal- The Nuremberg Trials were a series of military tribunals, held by the Allied forces of World War II, most notable for the prosecution of prominent members of the political, military, and economic leadership of Nazi Germany.
- Though some political leaders advocated summary executions instead of trials, eventually the Allies decided to hold an International Military Tribunal.
4. Concentration camp- a place where large numbers of people, esp. political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labor or to await mass execution.
- I know it's a shame most of your family couldn't make it, as they didn't survive the concentration camps.
5. Persecution- hostility and ill-treatment, esp. because of race or political or religious beliefs.
- Facing Nazi persecution, Anne Frank's family went into hiding in the attic of the building where Otto has had his business.
6. Nuremberg trials- The Nuremberg Trials were a series of military tribunals, held by the Allied forces of World War II, most notable for the prosecution of prominent members of the political, military, and economic leadership of Nazi Germany.
- Held for the purpose of bringing Nazi war criminals to justice, the Nuremberg trials were a series of 13 trials carried out in Nuremberg, Germany, between 1945 and 1949.
7. Implementing- put (a decision, plan, agreement, etc.) into effect
- If the parties agree on the agenda, all actors are given an action plan to implement its suggestions.
8. Maltreatment- cruel or violent treatment of a person or animal.
- In 1837 a ship under British colors was wrecked near Aden, and the crew and passengers grievously maltreated by the Arabs.
9. Justice- just behavior or treatment.
- The local licensing justices or magistrates’ court grants licenses.
10. Prosecutor- a person, esp. a public official, who institutes legal proceedings against someone.
- At the end of such period, the appointed prosecutor shall be entitled at the next hearing to present his opinion on the case.