by Todd Finley
"I spent a couple days throwing keywords into OER (open education resources are digital materials freely available through open licenses) search engines to assess the quality of secondary and higher education writing curricula.
"About 10% of the lessons and/or courses met my criteria, which meant the writing courses and lessons had to:
- Be free, permanent and public
- Support the writing process and involve students in the application of multiple literacies: reading, writing, speaking listening and visualizing
- Be take-and-bake, with activities intuitive and/or simple enough to teach next period
- Encourage student inquiry, autonomy and high expectations
- Prompt me to wonder, "Why didn't I think of that?"