Rosso Conero is DOC a wine appellation in the central part of the Marche region of Italy just south of Ancona on the slopes of Monte Conero near the Adriatic coast.
If Italy was a booted leg, Marche would probably be located on the calf muscle. It is the homeland of the family of the famous Napa Valley pioneer Robert Mondavi.
The name Conero comes from the Greek name Komaròs, the strawberry tree (cane apple) which is an evergreen shrub or small tree commonly present on the slopes of the mountain. The name was then transliterated into “conero” in Italian. At more than 1,800 feet above sea level, Monte Conero is the highest coastal point between Venice and Puglia, it has calcareous soils it provides an ideal microclimate for ripening red grapes.
The red wine made here must consist of at least 85% Montepulciano and the remaining 15% is usually Sangiovese. Montepulciano is a red Italian wine grape variety, rarely seen in California, and it should not be confused with the similarly named Tuscan wine Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, which is made from predominantly Sangiovese and is named for the village it is produced in, rather than for containing any Montepulciano grapes in the blend.
The Rosso Conero was one of the first wines to obtain the Designation of Origin (DOC) with the decree of the President of the Republic of 21 July 1967. Since 2004, there has also been a Riserva under the name of Conero DOCG. [...]
The 2010 Rosso Conero DOC “Lanari” Classic is a blend of 90% Montepulciano and 10% Sangiovese. It is a ruby red wine with some purple tints. On the nose it exudes aromas of fresh cherries followed by dried herbs, a touch of anise and a hint of white pepper. On the palate it is vibrant with medium to medium+ acidity, medium body and silky medium tannins. It is a delicious everyday wine that would pair well with any typical Italian dinner (Pizza, Spaghetti, Calzone etc.) and it sells retail for around $20 (I brought one home) at wine shops such as The Vine at Bridges in Danville, California.
Click on the photo and read about the winery