Forrester survey shows that the future is now when it comes to use of personal computing for work
Powerful and compelling analytics by Forrester.
Some of the key findings:
- Technology has found that employees believe so much in the post-PC devices that they're willing to pay for them themselves to use at work -
- Gartner predicts Macs will be as accepted by IT as Windows PCs by 2015.
- Use of multiple devices is already common.
- More people choose or bring their own PCs than you'd think.
- The number of people accessing the Internet through PCs in the USA will shrink from 240 million in 2012 to 225 million in 2016. Tablets are using used at roughly the same levels (from 39% to 49%) everywhere – at a work desk, home, cafe and traveling. Use of multiple devices is coming (29% already use 3 or more devices). PC rules, but mobile is getting bigger
- Tablets will be a big proportion of computing devices in use.
- Cloud storage and data syncing is commonplace.
- IT must plan on sourcing technology from Apple and the Google Android ecosystem.
- Microsoft's role as an IT provider is its to lose.