Are they really hurting us?
If you work in Washington — on the Hill or on K Street, at a law firm or at a think tank — you’ve probably been hacked. If you work at a major American company, you’ve probably been hacked, too. The penetration of U.S. computer networks by Chinese hackers has been going on for more than three decades. It’s good that it is finally getting attention, but with that spotlight have come exaggeration and myths that need to be discarded.
1. We are in a cyber cold war with China.
2. China’s hackers are unstoppable cyberwarriors.
3. China is poised to launch crippling attacks on critical U.S. infrastructure.
4. Cyber-espionage is causing the greatest transfer of wealth in history.
5. America spies on China, too, so what can we complain about?