Like most good ideas, this one came far away from work.
Steve Mundahl, CEO of Goodwill Industries and author of "The Alchemy of Authentic Leadership," was on a fishing vacation in Northern Minnesota when he started pondering his life and asking himself if all its elements were in balance. "I asked myself, do I have enough fun in my life, and enough creative expression?" he says. Although he was on vacation on that moment he realised that in general the answer was no.
It was a gap he needed to fill because without making room for all the different parts of himself to flourish--physical and spiritual health, leisure, creativity, and family as well as money and career--he knew he couldn't be the complete human being he needed to be to lead effectively.
Do you have enough fun in your life? Consider these "six rooms" of your inner house and take the test:
(1) Are you making enough money to bring satisfaction to your life?
(2) Do you save some space to relax, create and play?
(3) Are you doing something that is good for the world?
(4) Is your work fun and meaningful?
(5) Do you have balanced relationships?
(6) Do you pay attention to your physical and emotional needs?
Rate yourself on a scale of 1-5 in each of these "six rooms". Then add up the points:
25 or More: Your life is in good balance
20 - 25: Some rebalancing is needed
19 or Less: Drastic action may be required