A REMINDER OF THE REALITY OF THE HORRORS OF WARFARE
Not for the squeamish!!..... but to illustrate what horrors have been endured by both sides in Iraq.....as we sit cocooned and protected with our laptops and computers,whilst others to do our dirty work ....
Up to 12 people could be infected with Ebola including five children, it was revealed today, as health officials scramble to contain the deadly virus following the first diagnosis on U.S. soil.
The family of the male sufferer, who recently arrived in Texas from Liberia, could be at risk, ABC News reported on Wednesday. EMTs who transported the patient were also deemed at risk but had received the all-clear today.
The man, who arrived in Dallas on September 20, is said to be critically ill and has been kept in isolation since Sunday. The patient, has not been identified but is believed to be married and have children. He is 'awake, talking and asking for food', doctors said today.
However there are fears of the disease spreading because the man was in the U.S. for almost a week before being isolated.
The patient showed no symptoms of the disease while traveling but began to develop signs on September 24 and sought medical care two days later at Texas Presbyterian Hospital - where he was dismissed with antibiotics.
On September 28 he was rushed to hospital in an ambulance and quarantined before Ebola was confirmed. It raises the frightening prospect that he was mixing freely with others for a full four days while showing symptoms of the virus - the time when Ebola is most contagious.
A national prostitution ring in which women are believed to have been trafficked to the UK and forced to work in brothels has been smashed, police have said.
Fifteen people were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to manage and control brothels after raids on homes in the Midlands and south of England on Tuesday and Thursday.
All have been released on police bail.
Det Ch Insp Ally Wright said it was a "sophisticated and organised" set-up.
The Warwickshire Police officer said the ring was discovered after a property in Nuneaton was investigated.
"Females were, for want of a better way of phrasing it, being rotated on a weekly basis.
"So this raised the prospect that human trafficking or sexual exploitation were the root cause and this led us to other addresses through the country," he said.
Two homes in Nottingham were raided, two in Warwickshire, and one each in Reading, Slough, Wolverhampton, Torquay and Finchley, in London.
The women suspected of being made to work as prostitutes are believed to be Chinese and Malaysian, a Warwickshire Police spokeswoman said.
'Threats and violence' The British Red Cross was involved in advising on the raids and remains on standby to provide support, temporary housing and aid to victims.
A spokeswoman said no such assistance had been requested as yet.
Det Ch Insp Wright said the perpetrators abused vulnerable women "to make substantial profits".
"They [the victims] come to this country and go through a process of indoctrination, subject to coercion, some intimidation, some threats and violence.
"By the time they are put out to work, effectively under the control of organised criminals, they are so fearful it's difficult for them to come forward and present themselves as being victims," he said.
Phones, cash and banking details recovered by police during the raids are now being examined as part of the investigation.
Lebanese officials are concerned that a Western-led offensive against the Islamic State will not succeed in destroying the organization but simply move it closer to Lebanon’s border, and ultimately into the country itself.
Source within the jihadist group, Islamic state of Iraq and Syria has confirmed to Newsday 247 that the group executed British citizen, Alan Henning in the city of Raqqa today. We couldn't independently verify the claims of the source who asked anonymity.
The source added that, ISIS is expected to release video of the beheading of Mr Henning as soon as possible.
If confirmed, Henning will be fourth westerner to be killed by the group in recent weeks.
Eight people arrested by police in Devon and Cornwall investigating alleged slavery offences and people trafficking have been charged.
Police arrested the eight - five women and three men aged aged between 25 and 37 - during four raids in Plymouth and one in Bodmin earlier this week.
Officers said they had been charged with offences related to conspiracy over labour exploitation and money laundering.
They are due before magistrates later.
Those charged include:
Lenka Cmejlova, 32, of Union Street, PlymouthNela Dzurkova, 26, of Ford Park Road, PlymouthKaterina Kuriova, 35, of Saltash Road, Keyham, PlymouthJiri Sebelik, 37, of Union Street, PlymouthMartin Tancos, 35, of Saltash Road, PlymouthPetr Tancos, 35, of Ford Park Road, PlymouthSandra Tancosova, 25, of Flora Court, PlymouthRuzena Tancosova, 34, of Union Street, Plymouth
The suspects, all originally from eastern Europe, were arrested in raids which were part of Operation Triage, which was launched in March.
They were arrested following the raids on Tuesday in which seven men, believed to be Czech nationals, were rescued, police said.
Officers added that 13 children, thought to be linked to the suspects, were also found at the addresses by police and social services and had been taken to a place of safety.
The operation has also involved Plymouth City Council and the National Crime Agency.
Child marriage "is an evil worse than rape" and should be completely eradicated from society, said a Delhi court while ordering registration of a case against a girl's parents for getting her married at a tender age.
Metropolitan magistrate Shivani Chauhan issued the direction while hearing a case ofDowry harassment filed by the girl's parents against her husband and in-laws.
While ordering lodging of case, the court held that "giving and taking dowry is punishable under the law".
The court directed the police to register a case under the appropriate provisions of the "Prohibition of Child Marriage Act" and under the Dowry Prohibition Act against the parents of the 14-year-old girl as well as her in-laws, against whom a Domestic violence case was already registered.
"Child marriage is an evil worst than rape and should be completely eradicated from the society. This would not be possible if the stakeholders like State fail to take appropriate action against the offenders.
"The court is not expected to sit as a mute spectator and let the evil perpetrate," the magistrate said while directing the DCP, South, to file status report by October 19.
The court pulled up the girl's parents, saying that they too had committed a "serious offence".
"There are serious outcomes of child marriage. It is the worst form of domestic violence against the child, not only by the respondents (husband and his family)but also by her own parents.
"Child brides have a diminished chance of completing their education and are at a higher risk of being physically abused, contracting HIV and other diseases, and dying while pregnant or giving birth," the magistrate observed, adding that luckily this girl was "healthy".
"But this does not in any way diminish the seriousness of the offence which her own parents, relatives and the husband are alleged to have committed upon her person," the court added. According to the complaint filed by parents of the girl, she was married in 2011 and was then a minor.
The husband and his family members, however, contended that her parents had shown the girl to be a major at the time of the wedding.
The court while relying on her school leaving certificate, turned down the husband's contention and held that the girl was a minor when she was married.
"There is a school leaving certificate of the child on record and it shows that her date of birth is August 30,1997. The victim was around 14-15 years of age at the time of her marriage with respondent 1(husband)," it said.
Besides registration of an FIR, the court also directed the husband to pay Rs 4,000 as monthly interim maintenance to his estranged wife.
The court, in the meantime, allowed both the parties to settle the matter amicably as they expressed their desire to bury the hatchet.
"At this stage, both the parties (girl's parents and in-laws, including husband) jointly pray that there is a possibility of amicable settlement of the case between them and that the matter may be sent to mediation cell.
"In the interest of the child, and with a view of providing proper maintenance to the child without the rigmarole of the trial, the matter is referred to mediation centre."
According to the domestic violence complaint filed by the parents, their minor daughter was married on May 5, 2011 and an amount of Rs 3.5 lakh was given to her in-laws at the time of the wedding.
They had alleged that the respondents (husband and his family members) had demanded a car and Rs 50,000 in cash and beat her for her inability to meet the demand.
The Ebola virus may have been contained in Nigeria and Senegal, US health authorities say, after no new cases were reported there for almost a month.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) say the outbreakcould be declared over in Nigeria next month.
It continues, however, in other parts of West Africa, in particular Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.
The World Health Organization (WHO) says more than 3,000 people have died of the virus so far, mostly in Liberia.
The current outbreak is the most deadly Ebola outbreak in history.
The outbreaks in Nigeria and Senegal have been far smaller than in other West African countries, with 20 confirmed cases in total between the two countries.
Ebola control "possible"
In Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, there have been 19 confirmed cases of the virus and eight deaths since the first confirmed case there in July. The last reported case in Nigeria was discovered on 5 September, the CDC said.
There was also one confirmed case in Senegal in late August, where the infected person survived.
A woman accused of poisoning her mother in a Breaking Bad-inspired plot has told a court she was beaten by her.
Kuntal Patel, 37, denies trying to murder her magistrate mother Meena by putting abrin in her Diet Coke drink.
Giving evidence at Southwark Crown Court, Ms Patel said her "controlling" mother "forbade" her from marrying her boyfriend.
She said she "couldn't understand how or why my mother was behaving like this".
Ms Patel said her boyfriend Niaj Kakad had called her mother controlling, and when she told her this she erupted in fury and beat her.
"I think for her that was a sign of him being disrespectful to her," she said.
Ms Patel lived with her mother and younger sister Poonam in Plaistow, east London, where her mother kept tabs on her "24/7", jurors heard.
She said her mother "started slapping" her "on and off".
When she struck up a relationship with Mr Kakad, her mother quickly turned sour and tried to break them up, she claimed.
The court previously heard the graphic designer attempted to kill her mother by putting poison in a drink in a plot inspired by US TV series Breaking Bad.
Ms Patel was arrested in January when her emails to Jesse Korff asking for more abrin and ricin on the "dark web" were intercepted by the FBI, jurors were told.
The court heard Mr Korff, who made his poisons in a lab at his home, reassured Ms Patel he had sent her real poison and said it had "worked" for his other customers.
She denies trying to murder her mother, who sits on the bench at Thames Magistrates' Court, and one count of acquiring a biological agent or toxin, but has pleaded guilty to two further counts of attempting to acquire a biological agent or toxin.
Related StoriesBreaking Bad accused 'bought poison'26 SEPTEMBER 2014, LONDONHeartbreak of Breaking Bad accused25 SEPTEMBER 2014, LONDONAccused 'meant to take own life'24 SEPTEMBER 2014, LONDONPoison accused 'wished mother dead'23 SEPTEMBER 2014, LONDON
A former employee at a Bradford children's home where underage girls were allegedly groomed by older men has claimed her concerns about child safety were not followed up.
Louise said she reported girls being taken from the home at least ten times from 1992 to 1993.
The claims come after a 21-year-old woman said she was abused at the home for six years from the age of 13.
Police and council bosses said they were looking into the claims.
An independent report last month found that at least 1,400 children were sexually exploited in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, by gangs of men predominantly of Pakistani origin between 1997 and 2013.
Louise, who has used a pseudonym to protect her identity, told the BBC she saw girls being driven off in taxis before returning hours later, often under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
"It was not just the fact they were going off with friends, it was more than that. At worst, I assumed they were going off with adults and, yes, possibly, having sexual relations with them."
'Shocked and saddened'
Louise said it was routine to contact the police and social services and to log the details in the home's log book, but she claimed no further action was taken.
She said: "It makes me feel really angry now. I trusted the system... I trusted the people who were senior to myself and I just always assumed that things were being followed up."
Gerry Sutcliffe, Labour MP for Bradford South and leader of Bradford Council from 1992-1994, said he was "shocked and saddened" by the claims.
He said: "I think there should be an investigation [into] why it did not come to our attention."
Bradford Council said it was working with the police to protect current victims of child sexual exploitation and investigate historical concerns from the public.
Russ Foster, Assistant Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police, said "The police have no records of any allegations of abuse or exploitation of children at the home from that time. However, we are looking into this matter."
To hear the full interview with Louise listen to BBC Radio Leeds from 06:00 BST onwards.+
A post last week on the website Family Security Matters — which was founded by Frank Gaffney’s Center for Security Policy and counts a Center official as a member of its board — suggested that the U.S. “tailor the language of Section 2 of the Communist Control Act of 1954” to read that “the organization known as Islam shall be outlawed in the United States."
Via Mitchell Blatt, Family Security Matters contributing editor Paul Hollrah writes:
Islam is not a religion, as we understand the term. Rather it is a complete political, judicial, economic, military, and cultural system, masquerading as a religion. Its adherents refuse to assimilate into host country cultures, insisting that they be allowed to exist as an independent entity, not subject to the laws of their host nations. In order to accomplish their ends, they regularly preach the overthrow of their host governments, by violence if necessary.
Sheikh Abu Mohammad al-Adnani by, CBC News | h/t Billy Welch In an audio recording distributed widely on social media Sunday, Islamic extremist group ISIS urged Muslims globally to launch attacks on non Muslims...
A notorious Shiite militia is preparing to march on its rapidly-advancing ISIS enemy. In the past, the Mahdi Army was known for death squads, arbitrary shootings, kidnappings and bombings.
Baghdad hasn't seen anything like it for some time now: Shiite fighters marching in formation.
Bedecked in black training suits or flowing robes and turbans, they resemble Iraq's own army as they marched by the thousands through Sadr City over the weekend (22.06.2014). Sadr City's two million largely Shiite citizens make it Baghdad's largest district. They were ready to stand up to the terrorists, they cried. Everywhere, they could be heard: "We will slaughter them!"
Armed with rifles, pistols, grenades and Molotov cocktails, their first target is Samarra, where they plan to confront the largely Sunni militia Islamist State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and to protect their holy, Shiite mosque. The latter is proving a key point of contention.
Shia Islam's highest authority, Grand Ayatollah Ali Al-Sistani, again called upon the militants to join the fight against an enemy which threatens not only holy sites, but the unity of Iraq.
Minor girl attempts suicide after being held by traffickers - A minor girl who was allegedly sold by human traffickers attempted suicide by consuming some poisonous substance after she was not allowed to go back to her mother by those who had purchased her. The matter was exposed after the minor was admitted to the district hospital after her condition deteriorated yesterday, Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Rajesh Dandotiya said here today. The minor girl was allegedly sold by a woman along with her associates to a man identified as Rajendra Singh Solanki, he said.
A council at the centre of a child abuse scandal has announced plans to dissolve the cabinet and invest £120,000 in counselling services for victims of child sexual exploitation.
Rotherham Council deputy leader Paul Lakin said the money would come from cutting two cabinet posts and banning overseas travel by members.
Mr Lakin said he would begin choosing a new cabinet later.
A report found at least 1,400 children were abused in the town from 1997-2013.
Mr Lakin, a Labour councillor, also announced he had asked the Local Government Association to establish an "independently-chaired improvement board".
He said the board would include a serving or recently retired chief executive and director of children's services, and an external peer of each of the parties represented on the council - Labour, Conservative, UKIP and independent.
'Change will come'
Mr Lakin said: "We need to face up to the town's past and ensure that these horrific events can never happen again ever, and to ensure that all our citizens can have the future they deserve.
"We will have to work hard - and work hard we will - to rebuild and restore public trust and public confidence. Change, real change, will come and the children of Rotherham will be heard."
At the start of the meeting the Mayor of Rotherham, Councillor John Foden, said: "... Can I offer my sincere apologies to the victims and their families with regards to what has taken place in and around the borough of Rotherham."
Mr Foden also asked for the council to consider an emergency motion calling for Shaun Wright, the Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire, to resign "with immediate effect".
Mr Wright, who was cabinet member for children's services in Rotherham between 2005 and 2010, has faced repeated calls to stand down from people including Prime Minister David Cameron and Labour leader Ed Miliband.
On Tuesday Keith Vaz, chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee, said he would ask the home secretary about the possibility of legislation to remove Mr Wright.
Mr Wright has refused to resign since the publication of the report, but has quit the Labour Party.
Meanwhile, the chief executive of Rotherham Council, Martin Kimber, and the council's strategic director of Children and Young People's Services, Joyce Thacker, are giving evidence to the Communities and Local Government Committee.
Mr Kimber, who joined the authority in 2009, announced on Monday he would leave his post in December.
He said: "I believe that new leadership will enable the town to recover more quickly from the events of the last two weeks, and strongly signal a new beginning at this critical time in its recovery."