SMI Entertainment's 2088 is an inde sci-fi action movie written and directed by Steven Ilous, a visual effects supervisor for several big budget films.
|Current selected tag: transmedia. Clear.|
Your new post is loading...
Your new post is loading...
Through social media, website comments, live chats, and other methods, users can have a conversation with you around the content. It’s no longer about broadcasting your message. It’s no longer about telling your story and hoping people get it. To sum up these changes:
1. How: adoption and usage of multiple/simultaneous devices by users has prompted the need for a consistent experience. Marketers must now deliver their message and information across these device families.
Speaking in a recent interview with Polygon, Alderman stated the industry is experiencing a self-fulfilling prophecy in which game designers do not believe good narrative can be achieved within
the structure of a game and therefore fail to ever make it happen.
Justin Nalepa: Comparing games to TV shows, where the audience/users are expected to go away and come back again to the content. By breaking up the content into "episodes" or "chapters," the narrative can be completed in smaller digestable segments yet to contribute to a larger arc.
The first ever Future of StoryTelling Conference
Justin Nalepa: Check out Charles Melcher youtube channel for some amazing and truly inspiring videos on storytelling from leading experts in the field of transmedia:
Let’s get this out of the way, now — this, like many/most of my other lists, could easily be called “25 Things I Think About Transmedia.” It does not attempt to purport concrete truths but rather, the things I believe about the subject at hand. I am something of an acolyte and practitioner in the transmedia cult, and sometimes give talks on the subject (as I will be doing next week in Los Angeles).
So, here I am, putting my transmedia ducks in a row.
Changes in technology may have finally cracked open the door to novels which use several different types of media to tell a single story.
Justin Nalepa: Looking at successful books which have managed to carry the weight of the storytelling, while still giving pictures an equal place to work within them, enhancing the storytelling experience.
Examples: R. Crumb's The Book of Genesis
Brian Selznick's The Invention of Hugo Cabret
- Neither medium contains the whole of the story
- Each medium has advantages in different circumstancces
- Words to give personality and depth to characters
- Pictures to create a sense of movement in places and a sense of soundless contemplation
iPads and other tablets now have the technology to embrance the transmedia novel, but there are several hurdles:
1. Financial - requires a lot of upfront capital for a multiplatform approach
2. Creative - it is difficult to have the mastery of multiple arts necessary to turn a good work into a great one, collboration is necessary but can lead to projects becoming more mediocre if not carefully integrated and organized