|Scooped by Karin Sebelin|
If we are not careful, our attempt at good leadership will be derailed by the pride of our hearts.
Remember, “Pride goes before destruction”. (Proverbs 16:18)
Here are 7 dangers of the proud leader:
1. Refuses to listen to advice from others – Proud leaders “know it all”.
2. Makes excuses for mistakes – Proud leaders refuse to admit their errors. They don’t learn from times of failure; they try to hide them.
3. Protects position at any cost – Proud leaders try to keep others from gaining power or influence.
4. Takes complete credit for a team’s success – There is only one clear winner on a proud leader’s team…the proud leader.
5. Fails to see personal shortcomings – The proud leader becomes immune to his or her own deficiencies. Pride keeps him or her from getting honest about their weaknesses with anyone, including themselves. Proud leaders are careful to present themselves as flawless, whether in personal appearance or job performance.
6. Solicits grandstanding on their behalf – You’ll know about a proud leader’s accomplishment. They’ll be the first to start the cheers on their behalf. Proud leaders say things which promote the receiving of positive encouragement or feedback.
7. Removes God out of the supreme position – The ultimate danger of a leader struggling with pride is to remove God from the seat of control. Proud leaders refuse to submit to the will of God, preferring to chart their own path.
Pride prevents us from gaining a clear view on our life. Pride hinders us to see reality as it really is. Only with humility we are able to assess things adequately.
Humility means accepting reality with no attempt to outsmart it.
~ David Richo
Read the article!