By Kimberly Powell:
"Whether you're planning a trip to the State Historical Society, the Family History Library, the National Archives or the local courthouse, it pays to be prepared. Avoid frustration and increase your research time by asking these 10 question in advance of your visit.
1. What are the regular research hours?
2. Are there any holidays or special closures?
3. In what form are the records available?
4. Are there any record restrictions that will affect research?
5. What unique records or collections are available?
6. Are there restrictions on copying?
7. What can and can't I bring with me to the facility? Anything I absolutely need to bring?
8. What are the best times to visit?
9. Is there a lunchroom? Nearby parking? Public transportation?
10. Is there a particular archivist, librarian or staff member who specializes in my area of interest?"