RT @USNatArchives: What skills/characteristics are needed to be an #archivist? #AOTUS @dferriero offers his thoughts.
David S. Ferriero, Archivist of the United States:
" The next generation of Information Professionals
- People with a broader background than was the case when I was a graduate student. In addition to history, archives and library science, other subject matter areas are important. Above all, we want people who can connect archival work with real life experiences.
- Technical savvy is a given to work in a modern archives. And by savvy, I mean not just experience with the latest technologies, but also a sense of excitement and curiosity about putting those technologies to work
- A tolerance for ambiguity—if you need a blueprint of what your job is going to be like in five years, archives might not be the best fit.
- Highly developed collaborative skills. Can you play well with others?
- People with a strong passion for working with people. A customer-driven organization such as the one we are creating needs a customer-driven staff."
Full-text keynote address here: http://blogs.archives.gov/aotus/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/ALISE-keynote-address-as-delivered1.pdf