Share ideas that matter on the social web and experience
the benefits of curating the world's best content.
I don't have a Facebook, a Twitter or a LinkedIn account
Lots of new curation tools here worth checking out.
Are you sure you want to delete this scoop?
A new way to show yourself off on the popular job hunting site.
I've been doing some research into LinkedIn, research I will share soon. When I do share my research I want it to look good. Great tips here on how to do that.
This is an increasingly important consideration.
ScentTrail Content Marketing MilestoneScoop.it has turbocharged my little ScentTrail Marketing blog (http://scenttrail.blogspot.com/). I started ScentTrail in 2007 to help teach me about Google and Amazon. Now with more than 300 comments, over 600 posts, more than 600,000 words and several top Google Listings ScentTrail and my Scoops (http://www.scoop.it/u/martin-marty-smith) have pushed the needle past 200,000 views and almost 100,000 visitors. Not bad for a blog I've never advertised or promoted and whose mission has already been more than accomplished. ScentTrail Marketing stands as proof that solid content will find an audience. Sometimes an audience forms DESPITE what we do to prevent it (lol). Hope to make ScentTrail Marketing even more collaborative and open as soon as we finish with http://www.curecancerstarter.org . Thanks to everyone who helped the little blog that could reach such heights. Marty Picture is from Martin's Ride To Cure Cancer on top of Mt. Monarch, our ride from Durham to Santa Monica's highest point. Feels like ScentTrail Marketing just reached a significant summit too.
Yoko Ono launched a cool new SMILES app for iPhone yesterday. This post shares why I smile already each time I hear, "Yoko Ono", a name than mean's ocean's child :).
Artist Jeff Koons to Create A New BMW Art Car from Andrew Peterson on February 2, 2010 at Rumor Central.
BMW Art Cars ROCK Content MarketingBMW has always understood how to mix and match their content. By having amazing artists such as Andy Warhol and Jeff Koons create car designs they then RACE BMW shows they are committed to the art of the car.
Digital Marketing For Business Conference Hour By HourI don't think there is going to be a "bad" session at next week's #DMFB conference (Monday 4.15 and Tuesday 4.16).
You can find my hour by hour recommendations on the linked post.
Tuesday 1:00 Enterprise Track I discuss Thinking Bigger
Thinking Bigger Presentationhttp://digitalmarketingforbusiness.com/agenda/enterprise-track-agenda/thinking-bigger/ Thinking Bigger Slide deck on Slidesharehttp://www.slideshare.net/martinmartysmith/thinking-bigger #THKBig = Presentation hashtagEvent Twitter: @digital4biz Event Hashtag: #DMFBMy twitter: @ScentTrail My Blog: ScentTrail Marketing
New Hour By Hour PageI ended up breaking out the hour by hour recs to their own page:#DMFB Hour By HourAlso included Unofficial DMFB ResourcesPinterest BoardTwitter List
Google Panda and Penguin algorithm changes have a secret implication - that content is truly and finally KING. Not all content is equal. Some content has higher
Slideshare Breaks 10,000 Views Thanks To StorytellingThanks to everyone, all 8,500 of you, who've sent such nice notes of support and encouragement. Even more thanks to the more than 30 embeds. Appreciate be included me in your content marketing. You guys ROCK. Thanks for the follows on my Slideshare account too: http://www.slideshare.net/martinmartysmith .As soon as I dig out I will be following you back and embedding your Slideshares along with my thanks.
Hanging Out With Annie Liebovitz Working on my Digital Marketing For Business presentation I had a chance to include a link to this post about meeting and hanging out with the photographer Annie Liebovitz.
Annie is generous, kind and seemed to enjoy OUR taking pictures of HER. If that strikes you like a huge DUH, you are right.
One of my great regrets is not handing the camera to Annie and asking her to take pictures of US (oh well).
This was a FUN day and one of the special moments of my life. Not because meeting a celebrity is so cool, but because Annie, a personal hero, is an artist worthy of RESPECT and ADMIRATION.
Her talent is immense, but her ego small - a rare combination.
Post is from ScentTrail Marketing: http://scenttrail.blogspot.com/2008/05/meeting-annie-leibovitz.html
Picture is of the artist William Wegman and his beloved dog Fay Ray.
An infographic with information on the rise of google plus as a social network and how implementing google authorship can affect your business - http:
Set new #BI Revolution (http://www.scoop.it/t/business-intelligence-revolution ) view records with over 2,000 views in three days.
This infographic confirms what is clear - Google Plus is coming up FAST. I hang out with some serious G+ users such as @MarkTraphagen and he is speaking about GPlus all of the country. I've called G+ the most "disruptive" social net because it has moxie but it was as populated as Facebook. It still isn't but it is coming up fast as this infographic makes it clear.
Learn how to get your research onboard this iconic flight at http://engt.co/VUT4nP Learn more about how this patch came to be at http://fctn.tv/blog/casis-mission-patch-shepard-fairey/...
Cool, thinking of crazy space research ideas to submit now. Startups noe the grants available. Now I'm wondering how we can cure cancer from space (lol).
There are only so many hours in the day for you to get tasks done. On top of your normal work, you also have to go to meetings, schedule work, network and ensure that your online channels are up to date and that there’s a strategy in place.
However, while there was a time where we struggled to make time for digital marketing, it’s now a case where we perhaps put too much time into it. Being active online is great to see, but it shouldn’t come at the expense of your other tasks. All that time dwelling on what to post, figuring out what content people will like and how it ties into your business are things that mightn’t seem significant, but quickly add up over time.
If you don’t have a proper handle on it, you can end up being constantly busy, but not being productive. If this sounds like something you experience regularly, here’s what you can do to reverse the trend.
Create A Schedule And Stick To It
It’s a simple idea but it’s amazing how few actually bother to put one together.
Prepare In Advance
That said, there’s nothing wrong with preparing content in advance as there are always ideas, posts and images that aren’t time sensitive.
Break Down And Delegate
Not all businesses can afford the luxury of a community manager so if you have a small team, why not break up duties between each other?
So long as you don’t resort to automating the process, which can work against you since it shows you didn’t put time into it, then you can post the same image/video on another account.
Less Is More
If you’re tweeting and posting regularly, that’s great. However, if it’s a case that each post is getting low levels of engagement, you may want to reconsider your content strategy.
Hugh Pickens writes writes "The Mercury News reports that Nolan Bushnell, who ran video game pioneer Atari in the early 1970s, says he always saw something special in Steve Jobs, and that Atari's refusal to be corralled by the status quo was one...
Outliers Rule IF They Can Get Hired
This article feels TRUE. Jobs was an outlier and so it took a special company and boss to hire him, to accept his outlier-ness and seek to have the benefits of such a thinker. If Jobs proves anything it is that, as Seth Godin says, we are all "weird", and so forcing all applicants into a mold is damaging to culture and the ability to innovate. The world is providing outliers with ways of making a living that don't include corporations. Those corporations that do embrace the "weird" make the cash.Added a riff on G+ about embracing the weird: https://plus.google.com/u/0/102639884404823294558/posts/65CgVLvVQVa
Have you created a core marketing message to use throughout all of your marketing efforts?Not a catchy slogan or play on words using the name of your business or the service you provide. It's not some meaningless phrase like "we do it right" or "quality service you can trust." Anybody in business can say those things and they're really basic expectations anyway.
Always interested in finding my ultimate marketing message.
This is absolutely critical, but too many businesses skip this step.
Differentiation is the key
Excerpted from article on Search Engine Land:
"Google Webmaster Tools can be a powerful ally. But, if you make a mistake or put this power in the wrong hands, it can mean trouble for your search engine optimization. In this post, I provide a basic SEO Guide to Webmaster Tools to help get you started if you aren’t taking full advantage of WMT yet.
- Messages: Spam Warnings & Other Notifications[Priority: Medium / High]Many of us know that Google sends an email to Webmaster Tools if there is an issue with your site. If you don’t check Webmaster Tools messages frequently, you could miss an important piece of information.
- Settings[Priority: High]In the settings tab, you can do three things: set geographic target, preferred domain and crawl rate.
- Sitelinks[Priority: Medium]Every website owner wants good sitelinks. If you don’t know, sitelinks are the links that show up under your domain name in Google search results.Sitelinks are determined based on how much authority the domain has for a particular query. In many cases, we build sitelinks to assist with online reputation management because it pushes negative information further down the page.
- URL Parameters[Priority: High]Webmaster Tools has a setting that allows you to specify URL parameters and request that Google crawl certain URLs and not crawl others URLs. This is an incredibly powerful tool. If you make a mistake, it can mean that a large chunk of your site is removed from the index.
- Change of Address[Priority: Medium]If you move, you need to tell someone correctly!- Excessive Crawl Errors[Priority: Medium]If your website is not working and there are errors occurring on a regularly basis, this needs to be dealt with. In so many cases, I see sites with thousands of errors that are never addressed. Each error that affects usability can mean a potential lost customer.- Crawl Stats[Priority: Medium]This report shows you pages crawled per day, kilobytes downloaded per day and time spent downloading a page. Incidentally, there is a new Google Analytics report that also shows time downloading a page. The Analytics report, in my opinion, is much cooler.- Blocked URLs[Priority: Medium / High]In this report you can see the URLs that are blocked by robots.txt. In some cases, you will see areas of your site that are blocked which should not be. So, when you see this, unblock them!- Fetch As Google[Priority: High]The fetch as Google tool allows you to retrieve a page of your website as if you were Google. This can be very helpful if you want to verify whether or not a page is accessible.This tool also has the option to fetch pages as Googlebot-Mobile. This can be very helpful, particularly because of the elements that need to be put in place for the different forms of mobile optimization.- Indexed Status[Priority: Medium]The index status report shows you how many URLs are indexed out of all of those that Google can find on the website.
- Malware[Priority: High]When someone injects code into your forum or comments area, that is an issue. Google will see this and deem it malware. When someone then visits your website there is a chance a message will be delivered saying this site is not safe for users. For this very reason, it is important to check your malware report.- Search Queries [Priority: Medium] ...- Links To Your Site [Priority: Medium / High] ...- Internal Links [Priority: Medium] ...- Sitemaps [Priority: Medium / High] ...- Removed URLs [Priority: Medium / High] ...- HTML Improvements [Priority: Medium] ...- Content Keywords [Priority: Medium] ...Each point is analyzed with more information. Moreover there are also other points into guide.Read full interesting article here:http://searchengineland.com/the-seo-guide-to-getting-started-with-google-webmaster-tools-150345
This is a very helpful article.
More hlep with your SEO
TechWeekEurope UK SAP: 'Internet of Things' is Future of Information Management, Smart Cities ...
Internet of things will be COOL.
Wow ... dot.com
add your insight...
Amazing infographic on the future of internet connectivity. This reminds me of the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger movie "Total Recall"!
Communication Psychosociologist but Geek! Posting on Digital Revolution, Social TV and Human Evolution caused by the Digital Era. In French & English.
Martine's Scoops Are Cool. I just followed all 5 of her Scoops :). Marty
King & Queen of Pinterest NutritionistHoping to convince my sister Caroline to be the official King and Queen of Pinterest nutritionist and exercise coach. I need to get in better shape and no one knows how to do that better than my sister Dr. Caroline Smith a.k.a. Thunder Munchkin to her triathlete friends. Be sure to FOLLOW King and Queet of Pinterest & Stay tuned:King of Pinteresthttp://pinterest.com/scenttrail/king-of-pinterest/ Queen of Pinteresthttp://pinterest.com/scenttrail/queen-of-pinterest/
Creating New KPIs
I wanted to know the extent of my personal brand's current ecosystem. Reach has three components: * Inner circle (friends and family).
* Outer circle (so called "loose connections")
* FOF or Friends of Friends
I wanted to benchmark where my social ecosystem is today because there are no neutral marketing actions. Even doing nothing is now a full-blown action that brings consequences (decay of links and rank). This is my first stab at creating a new set of Key Performance Indicators for social media marketing so ROI may be more accurately estimated.
Scoopiteers, It takes four legs for a service to run well and fast: - a tangible value proposition - an efficient and pleasant user experience (UX) - a responsive and competent customer support - a reliable quality of service (QoS) ...
Stuff Happens, Remember Marc's Note ThenMy love of Scoop.it is well known, but it went up a peg when I read Marc amazingly detailed note on what has been happening and why. Internet marketing is full of bear traps. No one gets out FREE and CLEAR always. If that sounds a lot like LIFE you are on the right track. Marc's demonstration of how to turn a negative into a positive is beyond stellar. You should FILE THIS note in a place marked "Break Glass In Case Of Emergency". Why Marc's Note Is GREAT* DETAILS - Share EVERYTHING in a crisis. * Honesty - Don't shape or spin just lay it out.
* Storytelling - Share the blow-by-blow, great storytelling.
* Share Widget - Love the share widget (too good).
* Optimistic and upbeat.
Marc just conducted a class in how to be a great Internet marketer. When the wave hits and you are drowning and unsure BREAK THIS GLASS. Here is one of my Why Scoop.it Rocks posts:http://scenttrail.blogspot.com/2012/07/why-scoopit-rocks-ii-pictures.html
Watch video on CureCancerStarter.org's misison to create the first crowdfunding platform to bring cancer patients and researchers together.
Share the Love, Cure Cancer I am in the fight of my life. Yes I have cancer, but this fight is to create CureCancerStarter.org, our crowdfunding platform for cancer research. Over my head? You bet. Drowning? Sure, but combining two things I love - paying back those who've helped save my life by creating a platform to help fund cancer research and playing with these magical Internet marketing Lego blocks. If you have a moment today, please LIKE Cure Cancer Starter on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CureCancerStarter AND tell your friends that the coolest thing since sliced bread is being created by a crazy team of dedicated developers, artists and cancer survivors. AND you can help in 3 ways: 1. LIKE Cure Cancer Starter on Facebook (gets the Google juice flowing) & Follow @CureCancerStart on Twitter.
2. Watch my video explaining our mission at http://www.curecancerstarter.org.
3. Volunteer by emailing Martin.Smith(at)Atlanticbt.com (will have a form soon).
We need help developing a great board of advisors, creating content, developing and executing our Internet marketing plans and creating Cure Cancer Starter (so we need help with everything). Thanks :). Marty
I have a linkedin profile now what?
Good, simple infographic explaining how to use Linkedin to assist in your online marketing.
Why a new book on big data is destined to be one of the top business/analytics books of 2013 (Steve Millers review on the new Big Data book, looks like I will have to step out and buy it soon http://t.co/84NnLF86of)...
Datafication Is Too Cool Big data is cool and a "Go deep or go home" situation (lol). Big data forces us to THINK DIFFERENT and that can be very disruptive. This is an excellent introduction to how BIGNESS in DATA and our ability to create "datafication" or the quantification of huge tables of data in order to spin it up into some kind of actionable visual presentation.
PS. I am buying the book.
Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How Live, Work and Think,” co-authored by Oxford professor Viktor Mayer-Schonberger and Economist editor Kenneth Cukier,
Orange Leaders by The reThink Group. Orange Leaders is a place for ministry leaders to network and connect.
Find "teach in the way brains can't ignore" fascinating for content marketing.
It's the first of April and NOTHING is safe. Here's a guide to help you figure what is real and what is pure hogwash. Together, we can get through this.
Weaponizing cats sounds dangerous. Obviously they know my Bengal Lucian as he is fully armed.
Follow & ContributeDo you LOVE Internet marketing? We do too. Join the Marketing Revolution on Scoop.it by following. Seeking 5 Fellow Scoopers to contribute. If you would like to contribute to the Marketing Revolution leave your @TwitterName in Comments or tweet @ScentTrail. Together we create a NEW Marketing.Together we are smarter than apart. Together we have more FUN. Join the Marketing Revolution on Scoop.ithttp://www.scoop.it/t/marketing-revolution
In an age where the social customer has risen to new heights, customer support teams have been required to adjust to meet the needs of their customer base more
Selling SMM To The C LevelGreat customer service stats about:
* how much easier it is to sell existing customers than new.
* how many people hear about negative experience.
* how few hear about great ones.
and other customer service facts that should make selling social media marketing to the C level much easier.