I am interested in this post and post on critical thinking. Is critical thinking a skill? Can one teach critical thinking? Stephen has delivered the course on Critical Literacies MOOC in the past....
Robert H. Ennis, Author of The Cornell Critical Thinking Tests “Critical thinking is reasonable, reflective thinking that is focused on deciding what to believe and do.”
Assuming that critical thinking is reasonable reflective thinking focused on deciding what to believe or do, a critical thinker:
1. Is open-minded and mindful of alternatives 2. Tries to be well-informed 3. Judges well the credibility of sources 4. Identifies conclusions, reasons, and assumptions 5. Judges well the quality of an argument, including the acceptability of its reasons, assumptions, and evidence 6. Can well develop and defend a reasonable position 7. Asks appropriate clarifying questions 8. Formulates plausible hypotheses; plans experiments well 9. Defines terms in a way appropriate for the context 10. Draws conclusions when warranted, but with caution 11. Integrates all items in this list when deciding what to believe or do
What are the principles of critical thinking?
- Knowledge is acquired only through thinking, reasoning, and questioning. Knowledge is based on facts.
- It is only from learning how to think that you learn what to think.
- Critical thinking is an organized and systematic process used to judge the effectiveness of an argument.
- Critical thinking is a search for meaning.
- Critical thinking is a skill that can be learned.
- Do the above principles hold true and won’t change from one domain to the next?
Launched in 2001, KurzweilAI explores the forecasts and insights on accelerating change articulated in Ray Kurzweil’s landmark books — notably The Age of Spiritual Machines and The Singularity Is Near — and updates these books with key...
What can high school students learn today that will help them make sense of their world 15 years later? That’s the question addressed by NSTA’s new book, Front-Page Science: Engaging Teens in Science Literacy.
Not all students are naturally equipped with the critical thinking skills they need to achieve educational success. Learn about teaching strategies for teaching critical thinking at MentoringMinds.com.
The ability to think critically is essential when searching for jobs or moving into higher education. In schools, certain activities and lesson plans can foster critical thinking skills within students.