I want all girls to know that knowing how to restore themselves, how to take the time to do things that bring joy, solace -- reading for pleasure, yoga, knitting, baking, running, taking a bubble bath -- is time well spent....
Ann Klotz offers information, knowledge, wisdom and inspiration every time she speaks or writes! She is the Head of Laurel School and Co director of the Center for Research on Girls ( CRG) at Laurel school. Dell and I admire and love Ann Klotz and we love Laurel School!
"......20) getting mad is not irreparable; sometimes we have to get angry in order to bring about change.
21) they can make a difference if elected to office and that some of them MUST take that risk. Each one must vote in every election -- no excuses. Voting is both a right and a privilege.
22) education is the way out of poverty and that education for girls is a critical global issue.
23) money matters and they must know about how to earn it, manage it, save it.
24) doing enough practical things -- using power tools, changing a tire, coping with technology -- helps women feel competent and in charge, but I also want them to know there is no shame in calling a mechanic or a plumber or tech support.
25) their bodies belong to them, always.
26) their health matters; they must be proactive about breast exams and pap smears and encourage their friends and mothers to do the same.
27) knowing how to restore themselves, how to take the time to do things that bring joy, solace -- reading for pleasure, yoga, knitting, baking, running, taking a bubble bath -- is time well spent.
28) they are not alone, that we often feel better after a good night's sleep and that we should all drink more water.
I feel grateful to Carol Gilligan for inspiring me to consider all I want our girls to know. At Laurel, we do not have all the answers, but we are interested in the questions and the many voices we encourage to participate in this conversation. Because we know #29... that learning never ends.
Follow Ann V. Klotz on Twitter: www.twitter.com/AnnKlotz