This toolkit is developed as a resource for providers of teaching-related continuing professional development (CPD) in higher education (HE). It focuses on capturing the longer-term value and impact of CPD for teachers and learners, and moving away from immediate satisfaction measures. It is informed by the literature on evaluating higher education teaching and by empirical research into practice across the sector. It provides a series of templates that can be used to create bespoke CPD evaluations to capture impact through evaluation before, during and after an activity or event. In essence this follows a five-step process:
1. analysis of staff and programme development needs in relation to previous feedback, institutional and departmental priorities;
2. establishing learning outcomes for the CPD activity and the aims of the evaluation;
3. consider HOW and WHEN to evaluate impact, considering the aims and learning outcomes;
4. deliver or facilitate the CPD activity and commence ongoing evaluation. This may be ongoing over several years;
5. disseminate the findings and share the lessons learned.
Via CECI Jean-François