"Google Webmaster Tools can be a powerful ally. But, if you make a mistake or put this power in the wrong hands, it can mean trouble for your search engine optimization. In this post, I provide a basic SEO Guide to Webmaster Tools to help get you started if you aren’t taking full advantage of WMT yet.
- Messages: Spam Warnings & Other Notifications [Priority: Medium / High] Many of us know that Google sends an email to Webmaster Tools if there is an issue with your site. If you don’t check Webmaster Tools messages frequently, you could miss an important piece of information.
- Settings [Priority: High] In the settings tab, you can do three things: set geographic target, preferred domain and crawl rate.
- Sitelinks [Priority: Medium] Every website owner wants good sitelinks. If you don’t know, sitelinks are the links that show up under your domain name in Google search results. Sitelinks are determined based on how much authority the domain has for a particular query. In many cases, we build sitelinks to assist with online reputation management because it pushes negative information further down the page.
- URL Parameters [Priority: High] Webmaster Tools has a setting that allows you to specify URL parameters and request that Google crawl certain URLs and not crawl others URLs. This is an incredibly powerful tool. If you make a mistake, it can mean that a large chunk of your site is removed from the index.
- Change of Address [Priority: Medium] If you move, you need to tell someone correctly!
- Excessive Crawl Errors [Priority: Medium] If your website is not working and there are errors occurring on a regularly basis, this needs to be dealt with. In so many cases, I see sites with thousands of errors that are never addressed. Each error that affects usability can mean a potential lost customer.
- Crawl Stats [Priority: Medium] This report shows you pages crawled per day, kilobytes downloaded per day and time spent downloading a page. Incidentally, there is a new Google Analytics report that also shows time downloading a page. The Analytics report, in my opinion, is much cooler.
- Blocked URLs [Priority: Medium / High] In this report you can see the URLs that are blocked by robots.txt. In some cases, you will see areas of your site that are blocked which should not be. So, when you see this, unblock them!
- Fetch As Google [Priority: High] The fetch as Google tool allows you to retrieve a page of your website as if you were Google. This can be very helpful if you want to verify whether or not a page is accessible. This tool also has the option to fetch pages as Googlebot-Mobile. This can be very helpful, particularly because of the elements that need to be put in place for the different forms of mobile optimization.
- Indexed Status [Priority: Medium] The index status report shows you how many URLs are indexed out of all of those that Google can find on the website.
- Malware [Priority: High] When someone injects code into your forum or comments area, that is an issue. Google will see this and deem it malware. When someone then visits your website there is a chance a message will be delivered saying this site is not safe for users. For this very reason, it is important to check your malware report.
- Search Queries [Priority: Medium] ...
- Links To Your Site [Priority: Medium / High] ...
Personal learning networks are a great way for educators to get connected with learning opportunities, access professional development resources, and to build camaraderie with other education professionals.
Check out our guide to growing your personal learning network with social media, full of more than 30 different tips, ideas, useful resources, and social media tools that can make it all possible.
Laughter is one of the most wonderful gifts bestowed upon us by our Creator. But humor in Social Media is a tricky thing. My sense of humor is admittedly a bit nerdy and peculiar - and to many people, decidedly un-funny.
An infographic details that Google+ has low activity compared to other networks.
There’s a lot of conflicting data out there about Google+. A few studies over the past few months have portrayed the fledgling social network as relatively moribund, but another recent report from Experian Hitwise says visits to the network are growing substantially, hitting 34.9 million for the week ended Aug. 4 compared to 21.9 million visits for the week ended July 21 — a 59% jump in two weeks.
Whether the network is thriving or not, this research from Umpf, a UK-based social media firm, shows that activity on G+ is low compared to other social networks.
Branding Instagram In just a short time, Instagram has become one of the most popular social networks in the world. With an estimated 100 million global active users, generating some 40 million images per day, the possibilities for great brand...
"One job you have as a content marketer is to think of your reader as a tuning fork. You need to publish great content in order to create resonance with that reader — to get that person to emit a particular tone that gets them to know, like, and trust you.
Let’s look at some tips on resonance, and how to build harmony with your readers.
Seth Godin is a master at creating that “in tune” feeling with his readers. His posts makes his readers virtually vibrate with harmony — they strike a chord. As readers, we believe what Seth is saying is correct, and that makes us want to read more and buy his products.
Don’t assume that a post has to be about a positive topic in order to create harmony.
You don’t need to talk about unicorns and rainbows in every piece that you write. Sometimes you can get people to agree with you by giving a piece of difficult-to-hear (but crucially important) advice.
- Specific — Each article should be simple and direct, no matter what length it is.
- Useful — Useful stuff is memorable, and it resonates with your audience.
- Brave — Don’t be afraid to say the things no one else is saying. if you’re out in front of the rest of the pack, you could be talking about something everyone else is afraid to talk about.
- Emotional — Good content gets us worked up. It stirs up emotion, whether that feeling is wonder, awe, happiness, sadness or anger.
Maria Popova, Chris Brogan, and Neil Patel are writers who are masters at creating resonance and harmony with their readers.
Whether you’re aware of it or not, your favorite bloggers are creating harmony with you every time they write a great post. It’s one of the main reasons you love them.
They are listening to your needs and desires, and they are agile."
Why do social signals matter to search? What types of content do search engines respond to? Bing's Duane Forrester discusses social SEO dos and don'ts, and what areas businesses should invest in to win in the search "Game of Thrones".
To advance your business, you need to stay current on trends and continue to innovate. A powerful and effective way to amplify your marketing mix and generate new LinkedIn_inbound_marketing business is social network marketing. Establishing a ...
Tapbots has announced on their blog that the alpha version of Tweetbot for Mac will no longer be available. Now that Twitter limits an app's user base to only 100,000 users, Tweetbot is one of the victims of Twitter's new API rules.
There is unlikely to be no mobile app untouched or tablet unturned as every one hundredth of a second of the Olympics are tracked, updated, tweeted and shared until the finishing tape of the closing ceremony is reached on August 12th.London 2012 is...
Much has been made about the marketing opportunity that lies beneath social media. As business Facebook pages and Twitter accounts become virtually universal and consumers are able to connect with their trusted brands across a social platform.
Sharing your scoops to your social media accounts is a must to distribute your curated content. Not only will it drive traffic and leads through your content, but it will help show your expertise with your followers.
How to integrate my topics' content to my website?
Integrating your curated content to your website or blog will allow you to increase your website visitors’ engagement, boost SEO and acquire new visitors. By redirecting your social media traffic to your website, Scoop.it will also help you generate more qualified traffic and leads from your curation work.
Distributing your curated content through a newsletter is a great way to nurture and engage your email subscribers will developing your traffic and visibility.
Creating engaging newsletters with your curated content is really easy.