A friend recently shared this with me. Makes me think we need to think of more ways to capitalize on our kids strengths and when they are older make sure we match a job they are passionate about and also one that will build on their gifts.
Here's to others seeing ALL kids as competent!
The Autism Paradox
1. It's easy to recite an entire book but difficult to make up a story.
2. It's easy to line up toys but difficult to stay in line.
3. It makes perfect sense to climb on the sofa but little sense to sit on it.
4. Memorizing the Presidents in order - 10 minutes. Packing a school bag - 10 hours.
5. Family pictures on the wall are boring but that speck of dust next to it, now that's fascinating!
6. Talking about weather patterns - a piece of cake. Talking about my day - impossible.
7. Ability to focus on spinning objects - timeless. Ability to focus on homework - 3 seconds.
8. Being called by name - can't hear it. Some owl hooting in the distance - clear as a bell.
9. How to operate the remote control - zero instruction. How to button up pants - intensive instruction.
10. Navigating social rules - poorly skilled. Navigating from the back seat of the car - highly skilled.
Via Charmaine Thaner