DASHEncoder generates the desired representations (quality/bitrate levels), fragmented MP4 files, and MPD file based on a given config file or by command line parameters respectively. Given the set of parameters the user has a wide range of possibilities for the content generation, including the variation of the segment size, bitrate, resolution, encoding settings, URL , etc., which is shown by the example of a DASHEncoder config file in the git repository of DASHEncoder.
The DASHEncoder is available as open source with the aim that other developers will join this project. The content generated by DASHEncoder is compatible with our DASHEncoder which can be used as a decoder and player respectively.
Current features and restrictions:
- Generation of video only, audio only or audio+video DASH content
- h.264 encoding based on x264: Constant and variable bitrate encoding
- Supported profile: urn:mpeg:dash:profile:isoff-main:2011
- PSNR logging and MySQL interface for storing in a database(only for common resoltution representations)
- There are currently problems with the playback of the content containing Audio with the DASH VLC plugin
Via Nicolas Weil