Parents should continue reading with their children throughout primary school, urges a report.
Top tips for parents....
1. Even 10 minutes a day reading with your child is a major help
2. Choose a wide variety of books to introduce different types of language and style
3. turns to read aloud to each other. They can learn from your expressive reading and you can check they are not struggling
4. Ask questions about the book - maybe about what might happen next or a character's motivationMake sure they understand any new or unusual words or phrases
5. Enjoy it - "try and lose yourselves in a good story!"