Indonesian photographer Kemal Jufri receives Gold Medal Award from Prix De La Photographie Paris for his work on coal industry in Indonesia.
Indonesia is the fifth largest coal producer in the world today and as of 2009, is the second largest exporter after Australia. This archipelagic nation only uses approximately 13 percent of the coal it produces for domestic consumption and the remaining 87 percent is sold to the rest of the world.
Coal powers 41 percent of the world's electrical supply. This led to the dramatic increase of world coal demand, which in turn prompted the industry to grow in leaps and bounds. However, irresponsible coal exploitation results in adverse impacts and comes at the expense of human health, environmental degradation and global climate change -- a high cost to pay when alternative energy is a cleaner, safer and healthier option.
In Indonesia, where open-pit mining is predominantly practiced, coal leaves an irreparable trail of destruction in its chain of custody from extraction to burning. The story of coal is a tale rife with destructions and misery rooted in irresponsibility.
About the Artist:
Kemal Jufri is a freelance photographer with over a decade of experience covering stories across Asia with focus on Indonesia, for international publications including Time, Newsweek, The New York Times, BusinessWeek, Stern, Der Spiegel, amongst others.
He is a recipient of numerous awards and grants from some of the world's most prestigious institutions such as the World Press Photo, Missouri School of Journalisms Picture of The Year International (POYi), National Press Photographers Association's Best of Photojournalism (NPPA BOP), Prix De La Photographie Paris (PX3), PDN Photo Annual and many more.