This is a post from August 2010 but found it to be really interesting with some good points for curators. Yes, you can use Twitter for curation.
The author talks about mixing content that your audience will find interesting similar to a DJ. "As a Content Curator, you should be entertaining."
1. First realized that you ARE a subject matter expert.
2. Know your market.
3. Search via hashtags and alerts.
4. Know the "Power of Three" to effectively engage.
5. Know that how you write your tweets is just as important as what you are tweeting.
6. Elevate your peers.
7. Develop good taste!
8. Become a valued resource to your community.
9. Be the good news channel.
10. Know "when" to tweet.
11. Become part of a bigger conversation.
12. Follow industry conferences.
13. Understand there are differences if you curate for a global audience.
14. Content Curators need to follow a lot of people.
15. Curate Twitter lists that others will want to follow.
16. Become a trusted resource.
17. Track your results.
Adds by Gust MEES:
18. #criticalthinking i also a need
19. Knowing #quality sources is a must!
20. Knowing #itsecurity is a must to share ONLY secure links!!!
21. Knowing the right #itsecurity tools for surfing secure is a must!!!
Related #itsecurity links:
This works for Scoopit and Pinterest and other curating tools also. Good read!
Via Barbara Bray, Gust MEES