Newsweek, July 02, 2014
- ▶ DEEP END: THE DISASTER WE'VE WROUGHT ON THE WORLD' OCEAN MAY BE IRREVOCABLE http://www.newsweek.com/2014/07/11/disaster-weve-wrought-worlds-oceans-may-be-irrevocable-256962.html
EXCEPTIONAL DOCUMENTARY (1:29:00)
"PLANET OCEAN" - WHO OWNS THE OCEANS?
How The Health of The Oceans Are The Pivot
For all of Earth's Healthy Eco Systems
HuffingtonPost Green, August 10, 2014
- ▶ BAD NEWS AS COD ALMOST GONE FROM KEY FISHERY IN NORTHEAST U.S. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/10/cod-disappear_n_5665783.html
-▶ EMPTYING OUR OCEANS: BILLIONS IN SUBSIDIES PROP UP UNSUSTAINABLE OVERFISHING http://www.scoop.it/t/our-oceans-need-us/p/3259929193/emptying-our-oceans-billions-in-subsidies-prop-up-unsustainable-overfishing
-▶ OCEAN-GRABBING BY CORPORATE INDUSTRIAL FISHING THREATENS WORLD'S FISHERIES: UN http://sco.lt/6g6w41
-▶ WHAT HAVE WE DONE??? POLAR BEARS MAY NEED TO BE FED BY HUMANS TO SURVIVE? http://sco.lt/59BdYH
▶ WRECKING THE OCEAN ECOSYSTEM: OVERFISHING, COLLAPSING FISHERIES, OCEAN DEPENDENT SPECIES STARVING http://sco.lt/6bO2nR
SPECIAL REPORT - VIDEO
The Seattle Times
SEA CHANGE: THE PACIFIC OCEAN'S PERILOUS TURN
Ocean acidification, the lesser-known twin of climate change, threatens to scramble marine life on a scale almost too big to fathom.
Japan Times, July 26, 2014
- ▶ AS SPECIES DIE, WHAT VALUABLE KNOWLEDGE DIES WITH THEM? http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2014/07/26/environment/species-die-valuable-knowledge-dies/
SummitVoice, July 27, 2014
- ▶ PACIFIC BLUEFIN TUNA ON THE BRINK AS FED SEEK INPUT ON NEW FISHING. many tuna populations are on the brink of collapse. Five of eight tuna species have been assigned threatened or near-threatened status on the international Red List maintained by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature.
In the Gulf of Mexico, for example, the Deepwater Horizon oil disaster spewed millions of gallons of oil into the species’ prime breeding grounds, and a 2010 report by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists showed how illegal fishing and inadequate enforcement are decimating tuna stocks all over the world. http://summitcountyvoice.com/2014/07/27/oceans-pacific-bluefin-tuna-on-the-brink-as-feds-seek-input-on-new-fishing-regulations/
- ▶ PUT YOUR TUNA ROLL DOWN AND WATCH THIS http://sco.lt/7AkdiD
OUR OCEANS ARE DYING
MASS EXTINCTION MAY BE INEVITABLE
FP Magazine, July 08, 2014
- ▶ ARE THE OCEANS FAILED STATES? Thanks to overfishing, pollution, climate change, and terrible governance, the largest ecosystem on the planet is close to collapse... http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/07/08/are_the_oceans_failed_states_overfishing_climate_change
CNN, July 07, 2014
- ▶ LAWLESS RACE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN MUST END http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/07/opinion/ocean-trash-overfishing-kawaguchi/index.html
Energy Live News, July 01, 2014
-▶ SEAFOOD "COULD BE COOKED BY CLIMATE CHANGE" We could reach a point where governments battle it out over dwindling pockets of seafood. It’s all linked to the oceans acidifying: “The two aspects are: one, as they warm up they no longer absorb as much oxygen so you end up with fish sizes that are smaller.
“The second thing is, the impact of the temperature increase and increased CO2 specifically causes ocean acidification, so the pH of the water changes. which then is of real risk to things like shellfish as well as to coral reefs.”
- ▶ GREENLAND'S MELTING: CREATING A DIFFERENT CLIMATE THAN EARTH HAS EVER SEEN http://sco.lt/7MZUVV
Summit Voice, February 12, 2014
-▶ CLIMATE: TOO WARM FOR EQUATORIAL FISH? MANY ALREADY LIVING CLOSE TO THEIR THERMAL LIMITS http://summitcountyvoice.com/2014/02/12/climate-too-warm-for-equatorial-fish/
TAMING THE BLUE FRONTIER
Can Aquaculture Be Sustainable? Wild vs Farmed Fish
UNESCO, February 22, 2012
-▶ MARINE SCIENTIST ALARMED ABOUT INCREASING THREAT TO OCEAN ECOSYSTEMS. In the last 30 years, coastal resources such as mangroves, coral reefs and fishery resources have become depleted on a large scale. For example, more than 60 per cent of Asia’s mangroves have already been converted to aquaculture farms (ESCAP and ADB, 2000). The region is losing its resource bases to support people’s livelihoods and sustain future economic development. http://www.unescobkk.org/news/article/marine-scientists-alarmed-about-increasing-threats-to-ocean-ecosystems/
THE PROBLEM WITH SUSTAINABLE FISHERIES: Understanding the UN Climate Science Reports, May 2014
- ▶ CLIMATE CHANGE IMPLICATIONS FOR FISHERIES & AQUACULTURE http://www.cisl.cam.ac.uk/Resources/Climate-and-Energy/Climate-Change-Implications-for-Fisheries-and-Aquaculture.aspx
Business Insider, July 0, 2014
- ▶ FORGET TUNA: THESE ARE THE SEAFOODS WE'LL BE EATING IN THE FUTURE http://www.businessinsider.com/seafood-well-be-eating-in-the-future-2014-6
- ▶ OCEAN ACIDIFYING: RAPIDLY RISING CO2 IN ATMOSPHERE CAUSING POTENTIAL CATASTROPHE http://sco.lt/8LsqbR
VIDEO - CNN
-▶ "OVER-FISHED AND UNDER-PROTECTED: OCEANS ON THE BRINK OF CATASTROPHIC COLLAPSE"
TWO-THIRDS OF HEALTHY FISH BROUGHT ON TO FISHING VESSELS THROWN BACK INTO THE SEA: DEAD OR INJURED http://sco.lt/6DbCld
SCRAPING THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN CLEAN: AN INSATIABLE DRIVE FOR PROFITS, DESTRUCTION OF OCEANS http://sco.lt/7QNLQ9
THE END OF CORAL REEFS?
AROUND FOR 10 MILLION YEARS, WIPED OUT IN 100
BILLIONS OF POUNDS OF PLASTIC IN OUR OCEANS
IMPACT ON SEA LIFE, YOUR SEAFOOD AND YOUR HEALTH
"SEA THE TRUTH"
IN 2048 OUR OCEANS WILL BE EMPTY
THE LOSS OF OCEAN SPECIES IS STAGGERING
SHARK POPULATIONS PLUMMET BY 90% 100 MILLION A YEAR TAKEN JUST FOR THEIR FINS. http://sco.lt/7kHqLZ
-▶ MANTA RAYS IN TROUBLE FROM OVERFISHING, FOOD DEPLETION http://sco.lt/6Aj80P
DEEP SEA MINING:
DEVASTATING OCEAN SEABEDS, DESTROYING UNKNOWN ECOSYSTEMS http://sco.lt/70rdpp
-▶ DESTRUCTIVE FISHING GEAR KILLS 400K+ SEABIRDS PER YEAR - LONGLINING, INDUSTRIAL TRAWLERS http://sco.lt/8xLtlx
"THE BIGGEST CATCH""
SHOCKING FOOTAGE REVEALS TUNA INDUSTRY'S SLAUGHTER OF MARINE LIFE http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/video/2011/nov/18/footage-tuna-industry-slaughter-video?CMP=twt_fd
Summit Voice, February 15, 2014
-▶ GLOBAL WARMING: REPORT WARNS OF 'ARCTIC SQUEEZE'. An entire bio-climatic zone, the high Arctic, may disappear.
FRISCO — Rapid climate change in the Arctic is putting enormous pressure on ecosystems, threatening biodiversity and the fundamental way of life of indigenous Arctic peoples, scientists said in a major new report.
“An entire bio-climatic zone, the high Arctic, may disappear. Polar bears and the other highly adapted organisms cannot move further north, so they may go extinct. We risk losing several species forever,” said Hans Meltofte of Aarhus University, chief scientist of the report.
- ▶ ARCTIC IS RELEASING HUNDREDS, PERHAPS THOUSANDS, OF ENORMOUS PLUMES OF METHANE DIRECTLY INTO EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE http://sco.lt/8gVi1x
-▶ OBAMA'S ARCTIC STRATEGY SETS OFF A CLIMATE BOMB. THE SUICIDAL RACE FOR ARCTIC'S NATURAL RESOURCES http://sco.lt/5pPxWD
Real News One, June 10, 2014
-▶ PUTTING THE ECONOMY BEFORE THE ENVIRONMENT IS ENVIRONMENTAL VANDALISM AND SUICIDAL http://realnewsone.com/2014/06/10/putting-the-economy-before-the-environment-is-environmental-vandalism/
Psychology Today, May 15, 2014
- ▶ ECOCIDE IS SUICIDE: COMPASSION AND PERSONAL REWILDING http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animal-emotions/201405/ecocide-is-suicide-compassion-and-personal-rewilding
AN URGENT MEMO TO THE WORLD
The Natural Eye Project
THE SIXTH MASS EXTINCTION IS UPON US.
CAN HUMANS SURVIVE?
An Exquisite Dedication To the Stewards of Our Planet
Solutions For A Sustainable Planet
@pdjmoo CURATING THE FOLLOWING SCOOPIT's
-▶ CLIMATE CHANGE WILL IMPACT US ALL http://www.scoop.it/t/changingplanet
-▶ BIODIVERSITY IS LIFE http://www.scoop.it/t/biodiversity-is-life?page=1&cp=49
-▶ CORPORATE "SOCIAL" RESPONSIBILITY? http://www.scoop.it/t/environmental-and-human-health
-▶ YOUR FOOD, YOUR HEALTH http://www.scoop.it/t/agriculture-gmos-pesticides
-▶ OUR OCEANS NEED US http://www.scoop.it/t/our-oceans-need-us