Wiley’s 2013 open access survey was deployed in May 2013 to 107,000 corresponding authors of Wiley journal articles. Key findings include:
• The number of open access authors has grown significantly.
• Quality and profile of open access publications remains a concern.
• There are indications of author confusion around funder mandates.
• Respondents overwhelmingly preferred the more permissive licenses.
• Considerable differences emerge between early career professionals and more established colleagues when comparing funding and payments for APCs.