- Optogenetic tools allow selective activation/silencing of specific neuronal populations.
- Inhibitory opsins have been shown to efficiently reduce epileptiform activity in brain slices.
- New strategies for controlling seizures could be explored using optogenetics.
- Technically challenging optimisation of optogenetic approaches.
- Some uncertainty in predicting outcomes of optogenetic interventions on excitability of complex neuronal networks. (...) - by Kokaia M et al., Neuropharmacology, Volume 69, June 2013, Pages 89–95