This piece was brought to my attention by my wonderful friend and colleague, Jennifer Sertl. It was written in April of 2011 by Jay Deragon who is always articulates the present and the future in a way that hopefully expands your awareness which we all need in today's marketplace.
Here are some of the highlights:
**People are gathering in "tribes" to connect, collaborate, discover and influence change.
**Social technology provides people the ability to aggregate around everything and anywhere.
**The market sees this and attempts to aggregate self serving tribes but the people have a different purpose & their own tribe
**The aggregation of tribes has become the pursuit of the market. Pulling groups and custom networks has become a common practice of the markets managing these tribes with a purpose different than simply gathering of the trade.
The evolving dynamics of tribal aggregation are the dynamics that will change the way markets interact with tribes
1. Tribes control the message with growing influence over markets
2. Tribes have a purpose. Help them fulfill their purpose and just maybe you'll become part of that tribe
3. Companies will have to learn that they are not the "connection" to the tribes, internal and external hold the keys to tribal influence
4. Tribes do need management, they need tools to accomplish their objectives and will always be self managed
5. Tribal leaders are more interested in serving tribe members than themselves.
Here is a great takeaway:
Seth Godin writes: "Tribe management is a whole different way of looking at it.
**It starts with permission, the understanding that the real asset isn't an amorphous brand but is in fact the privilege of delivering anticipated relevant messages to people who want to get them
Selected by Jan Gordon covering "Exploring Change Through Ongoing Discussions"
Read full article here: [http://bit.ly/VgyyuG]