It would be inaccurate to say that textual content is on the way out. After all, it’s hard to imagine a business world where text doesn’t hold weight in conveying messages and explaining value propositions. However, it’s clear that visual content is moving in and will stick around indefinitely. As a content marketer, it’s imperative that you understand when visual content is better than text content.Why people respond to visuals
We live in a world where visuals do the talking. If you want to express yourself in a way that the masses can understand, then you must be willing to invest in visuals – there’s really no way around it. Not only is the human brain wired in a way that visuals are better received than text – but the search engines are gradually becoming rewired as well. Just consider the following statistics from this Ethos3 infographic on the topic:
- Content with visuals attract 94 percent more total views.
- In today’s market, content with visuals are 40 times more likely to be shared on social media.
- The human brain processes visuals 600,000 times faster than text.
- An impressive 90 percent of information sent to the brain is visual.
- 65 percent of people are classified as “visual learners.”
- It’s roughly 50 times easier to get a video ranked on the first page of Google than a standard article or blog post.
- Google is the second largest search engine in the world.
- Nine out of ten online shoppers say videos are helpful in making purchase decisions.
These facts are just a small fraction of reality. Visuals are clearly more effective at conveying messages than standalone text. Once you understand this, you can begin to use it to your advantage.