I do my part to recycle, but I am far from producing zero waste. The goal should be a system where all the junk mail and jars never enter my home to begin with.
1. Fight junk mail.
2. Turn down freebies from conferences, fairs, and parties.
3. Declutter your home, and donate to your local thrift shop.
4. Reduce your shopping trips and keep a shopping list.
5. Swap disposables for reusables (start using handkerchiefs, refillable bottles, shopping totes, cloth napkins, rags, etc.).
6. Avoid grocery shopping waste:
7. Know your city’s recycling policies and locations—but think of recycling as a last resort.
8. Buy primarily in bulk or secondhand, but if you must buy new, choose glass, metal, or cardboard. Avoid plastic:
9. Find a compost system that works for your home and get to know what it will digest
10. Turn your home kitchen trash can into one large compost receptacle.