The past 18 months have seen the Beach, Dade's glitziest locale, become its most corrupt. Among Gonzalez's dubious achievements:
• His pick to head the troubled Building Department was canned after admitting to double-billing taxpayers for more than $154,000.
• His cops have been charged with harassing gays, shooting innocent bystanders, drunken joyriding that nearly killed a beachgoer, and drinking on the job.
• Prosecutors probed whether he extorted thousands of dollars in free tickets from the New World Symphony.
• His procurement director resigned over ties to a felonious developer and accusations of ethics breaches in a convention center renovation project.
• The FBI busted five of his code compliance officers and a firefighter for accepting bribes from clubs, and another firefighter for helping to arrange cocaine shipments.
One question remains: What the hell happened?