A new smartphone app for identifying likely melanomas is now available in the UK. Called Mole Detect Pro, the app is based on a beta version called Mole Detective that has been available in the U.S. for 2 years. The new app analyzes uploaded pictures of moles and gauges the chances that they are melanomas using the ABCDE method that is recommended for self checks at home:
- Asymmetry—irregular shape
- Border—ragged, notched, or blurred
- Color—more than one in an individual mole
- Diameter—bigger than 6 mm
- Evolution—changing size, color, or shape
However, while apps can help detect melanomas, recent research in JAMA Dermatology shows that that they can also miss them. Doctors caution that people should not rely on apps for diagnosing melanomas.