Worldwide, a large number of teens are bullied, insulted, or stalked via the Internet. These victims are at risk of depression, anxiety, and loneliness.....
Teens’ intentions to post harassing comments on social media can be reduced in four ways:
- By presenting them a message saying that others would disapprove of the harmful comment;
- By presenting them a message warning that parents could read their comment;
- By presenting them a message that points out the potential harm of the comment for the receiver;
- By inserting a time delay before they can post a message.
- For social media developers it is useful to know that reflective messages (and posing a time delay) can help stop online harassers by counteracting impulsivity and increasing their self-control.