My interviewee was a capo for the mob in the Westmoreland and part of Allegheny area.
1. Outside from what I can find in a source, what can you tell me about the mafia?
Other than whats all ready known I dont feel comfortable talking about it.
2. How have laws changed as a result of mafia related crime?
The RICO law (The Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act) was developed to stop organized racketeerring activity. The lottery which we used to run is now legal because the government taxes it.
3. How did the mafia come into power?
The mafia in Italy all fled to America and lived together in their own community in order to not be taken advantage of and they set up their own laws for the people to live by.
4. Why do you think they mafia had so much power?
We had so much power because their used to be loyalty and no one questioned the boss, everyone had a position. The power came into affect when the five families split up terriority and stopped fighting with each other. The bosses were low key and no one knew who was in the mob.
5. Many sources stated that the mafia does the same things that the government does. Do agree or disagree with this statement and why?
I agree, the only difference between what we did and they do is that the governments is taxed, so they are making money. And if the government is making money its okay. We used to write numbers and now we have the lottery. We gambled and now there are casinos.
6. The media portryas the mafia to be all bad, what, if any, is the "good" in the mafia? We looked out for the advancement of Italian immigrants, so we could get them out of the slums and enough money to raise a family.
7. In your opinion do you think the mafia will ever go completely go away? Explain.
No, there will always be illegal activity. The hunger for power and money will keep the mafia going on one level or another.
8. How does the media distort the reality of the mafia?
I think that they media protrays us as thugs when in reality all the men that i have come in contact with have been very intelligent men just working for the wrong side.
9. Did you know growing up you were in a mob family? How/When did you find out?
No, I didnt know I was in a mob family, my dad died when I was 15 and at age 17 I started with some small mafia business. I didnt find out my dad had been involed untill I was 25 at a funeral from an distant family memeber.
10. How do you think historical events shaped the evolution of the mafia?
Prohibition gave us an opportunity to make large amounts of money. That money was used to buy legitimate businesses, and we used it in Las Vegas where we made money with gambling. Gambling developments of Alantic city provided the opportunity to get involved with labor unions. A big one was the truckers union, if the truckers went on strike that meant that no one would be able to get anything, this held power. It gave us money and the power to paralyze America. This led to be able to control votes for politician which is where you get the real power from, when you can influence a political race.