"For the first time in the history of the prize, it is being awarded not to an individual, but to an idea. It is an idea upon which our planet’s future depends.
The 2012 TED Prize is awarded to….the City 2.0.
- The City 2.0 is the city of the future… a future in which more than ten billion people on planet Earth must somehow live sustainably.
- The City 2.0 is not a sterile utopian dream, but a real-world upgrade tapping into humanity’s collective wisdom.
- The City 2.0 promotes innovation, education, culture, and economic opportunity.
- The City 2.0 reduces the carbon footprint of its occupants, facilitates smaller families, and eases the environmental pressure on the world’s rural areas.
- The City 2.0 is a place of beauty, wonder, excitement, inclusion, diversity, life.
- The City 2.0 is the city that works."
>>> "Who will make and oversee this year’s TED Prize wish?
The TED Prize organizing team is bringing together a group of visionaries — urban planners, architects, technologists, authors, policy makers, and economists — to act as advocates for The City 2.0 and craft a wish capable of inspiring collaborative action by many. The wish will be unveiled during the TED Prize session on February 29, 2012."