Education sociologist and policy expert Peter Cookson boldly describes an actual education bill of rights for American students that will ensure greater equity and improved academic achievement for all.
CHILDREN'S EDUCATION BILL OF RIGHTS
We assert that every American child and young person has:
1. the right to a neighborhood public school or a public school of choice that is funded for excellence;
2. the right to physical and emotional health and safety;
3. the right to have his or her heritage, background, and religious differences honored, incorporated in study, and celebrated in the culture of the school;
4. the right to develop individual learning styles and strategies to the greatest extent possible;
5. the right to an excellent and dedicated teacher;
6. the right to a school leader with vision and educational expertise;
7. the right to a curriculum based on relevance, depth, and flexibility;
8. the right of access to the most powerful educational technologies;
9. the right to fair, relevant, and learner-based evaluations;
10. the right to complete high school.