Have you heard the phrase, “What got you here, won’t get you there?”
This is particularly true for new first-line leaders. The transition to manager is among the most difficult leadership transitions. The technical skills and knowledge that have brought them success will now account for only 15% of their ability to make an impact. The other 85%? This accounts for the manager’s people skills and knowledge. This shift from technical expertise to people management requires a very different way of thinking.