Buying property abroad is more popular than ever, with increasing numbers of people following their dream in purchasing a holiday home, a buy-to-let, or moving lock, stock and barrel to the sun. If you're planning such a move, read our guide before you buy.
- Before you start looking for a property, it's worth asking yourself a few basic questions, which should save you time and money in the long run:
- Do you prefer the town or country?
- Do you want to be inland or on the coast?
- Do you want to be isolated or in the thick of it? (Most people prefer to be within about an hour's travel time of a town.)
- How much outside space do you want?
- How close do you want to be to your neighbours?
- How close do you want to be to shops, bars and restaurants?
- Where's the nearest public transport, how often does it run, what time does it end?
- How far is the beach?
- How close are you to the nearest airport?
- How far is it to sports facilities, golf, tennis, swimming, and so on?
- How good are the local health and social services?
- Arts and entertainment - what's available in the area?
- Neighbours - what are they like and how often do you want to see them?