[...] The Villa del Balì is located in S. Martino, where is possible to dominate both Saltara and the neighboring countries. In this place in the ancient times was built a temple dedicated to the god Mars. Over time, it was easy the transition from "Mars" to "Martin": historical evidences speak about a chapel dedicated to St. Martin since 1165.
Villa was restored in 1564 by Vincenzo Negusanti, Bishop of Dalmatia and dean of the Council of Trent, and it became a place for his studies, rest and meditation. [...]
The Villa was sold in 1667 to the Count Gastone Marcolini, Grand Prior Balì (Balì, from which the villa takes its name, is the highest rank in the ancient orders of chivalry) of the Order of Knights of St. Stephen, Pope and Martyr, and remained in family ownership until 1852 Marcolini, to become the property of the Society of Jesus and then of the city of Fano.
The Count Marcolini made a crypt under the lawn in front of the villa. The crypt is composed of four crosses of Lorraine, arranged to form four right angles. It's very smooth: one of the arms extends to descend into a square room placed at 7 m depth: the CRYPT. In the vault the ceiling is painted with a white and red huge cross.
The bricks of the floor are also arranged to form a cross, and in its center there is a well-blind. An apse and two shrines are located in front of the entrance. The whole structure was used for initiations into knightly orders, many of which are rooted in cryptic traditions. Unfortunately, today the crypt is down and remains closed to the public.[...]