Petritoli was founded by the Farfense monks around the year 1000 with the name of Castel Rodolfo, maybe from the name of a feudal monk.
Petritoli is a very busy place and you will be amazed by the liveliness of the tourist initiatives, with its festivals, its street markets and the wide offer of cultural competitions and events which range from music to theatre.
The town is perched on a hilltop 358 meters above sea level in the Fermo province of Le Marche in central Italy between the Adriatic Sea and the Appenine range. The village is 16km away from the coast and the delightful seaside resort of Pedaso. It is 35 minutes away from the Sibillini mountains.
The village follows the typical pattern of this region with the main square, Piazza Rocca, at the top housing the 40 metre high clock tower (1831) and the oldest properties (the original monastic centre), and the rest of the yellow brick village winding down below against the rock face.
Teatro dell'Iride (1875) has recently been renovated and now holds regular concerts, plays and other performances. Of the numerous churches, the two most interesting are the 14th-15th century Chiesa di San Prospero and the Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Martiri with its unusual 17th century frescoes set out in 15 octagonal scenes, and rare organ, work of the renowned Callido.