Almost entirely surrounded by medieval walls it preserves, in the old town, interesting monuments and works of art. Its past history is rich of events, now it is an industrial shoe-factory centre and there are more than 15000 inhabitants.
Its ancient name, when the village was built on a hill at the time of the barbarian invasions, was Cluana. In the 7th century, in exchange for donation of a piece of land, some monks consigned the dead bodies of Santo Abate Elpidio and his friends Eustachio and Ennesio to the local inhabitants.
The religious buildings of Sant’Elpidio preserve important art treasures. In the main square we find the church of Santa Maria della Misericordia where is a barrel vault painted in fresco by Pomarancio. Next to the church rises the Gerosolimitana tower, built by the Knights of Malta in the 8th century. Inside another church called “Collegiata”, built in 1639 on ruins of 14th century, there are some paintings by Pomarancio and other artists, and, in the presbytery there is a Romans sarcophagus of the 4th century. In the Town Hall has been prepared a fine collection of pictures where a “polittico” by Vittore Crivelli composed of 18 panels stands out among the rest for its value and beauty.