San Severino Marche it is one of the most beautiful towns of Le Marche Region located in the Province of Macerata along the beautiful river Potenza Valley. There are two wonderful occasions to visit the town, amazing chances to discover the passionate and devote temper of the Marchigiani people: the amazing celebrations of the patron saints San Severino and San Pacifico.
Visiting San Severino Marche in the occasion of the San Pacifico’s festival on 24th September, you will discover the religious character of the town, made of faith and devotion.
For the San Severino’s festival, from 8th June, you will be brought back to the Middle Ages with cultural and artistic shows and popular events. The most famous event is the Palio dei Castelli with the famous Corsa delle Torri (The Race of the Towers). The Historical re-enactment of San Severino Marche is among the most important historical commemorations in central Italy.
During the Palio and the Corsa delle Torri more than 1300 historical characters will take part of the shows: nobility, commoners, musicians, archers, arbalesters and belligerents.
There will be a historical parade with the "Offerta dei Ceri" (ceri = big candles) to the patron saint.
The Palio dei Castelli is a combination of several historical medieval games such as tug-of-war, race of the Towers, archery, ability games, etc.
The big event is represented by the race where teams will carry huge models of tower of castles representing their villages (Rocchetta, Colleluce, Serralta, Taccoli and Cesolo) and “Rioni” (town quarters: Settempeda, Castello, di Contro).
The team that gets the highest score in every game wins the Palio dei Castelli. Winners, usually, celebrate their victory all night long.
According to historical chronicles, San Severino’s first festival was held on 8th June 1198 today we can assist to the recreation of medieval evenings, games and shows during which the historical centre is transformed into an enchanting medieval village.
This year's edition includes 8 different days of festivities.
- Friday, June 7 at 21:00 - Castello al Monte "Luminaria" night procession with torches
- Saturday, June 8 Historical Parade
- Sunday, June 9th from 21.00 to 24.00 Piazza del Popolo Children in the Middle Age
- Wednesday, June 12 from 21.00 - Piazza del Popolo "Disfida dei Castelli" various games for the assignment of the Palio 2013
- Saturday, June 15 from 21.00 - Piazza del Popolo Corsa delle Torri e Palio - 24:00 -Fireworks
- June 21 22 and 23 at Castello al Monte, Medieval Feasts with medieval market, falconry, medieval music, medieval jesters fighting, jugglers, juggling and fire-eaters, weapons and military camp life, treasure hunt