Nutrient-rich farro is an ancient grain with a nutty flavor & firm-chewy texture, making it wonderful to cook with in soups, salads & breads. This recipe for Farro & Leek Soup can be built upon based on what's in-season, in the Spring add peas & asparagus for bright flavor or in the Fall try walnuts & porcini creating a rich meaty flavored stew.
You should be able to find farro at most Italian specialty shops or health food stores. We are lucky to find locally grown farro right here in Le Marche, Italy!
Farro and Leek Soup - Minestra di Farro e Porri
- 2-3 glugs or tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, white parts only, sliced finely
- 1 cup or 150 gr farro
- 1 stalk of celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 liter meat stock (vegetable or chicken stock is OK, however meat stock adds richer flavor)
- herbs of your choice - I use 1 sprig of thyme & a bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt & pepper