Latest Research on Language
11 views | +0 today
Follow
Your new post is loading...
Your new post is loading...
Scooped by Polina Hadjipanayiotou
Scoop.it!

The most persuasive words in English: The psychology of language

The most persuasive words in English: The psychology of language | Latest Research on Language | Scoop.it
What are the most persuasive words in english? Recent research points to "Free", "Because", "You", "Instantly" and "New".
more...
No comment yet.
Scooped by Polina Hadjipanayiotou
Scoop.it!

On Craftsmanship: The Only Surviving Recording of Virginia Woolf’s Voice, 1937

On Craftsmanship: The Only Surviving Recording of Virginia Woolf’s Voice, 1937 | Latest Research on Language | Scoop.it
"Words belong to each other." On April 29, 1937, as part of their Words Fail Me series, BBC broadcast a segment that survives as the only (For Virginia Woolf's birthday, the only surviving recording of her voice – a beautiful meditation on language...
Polina Hadjipanayiotou's insight:

Virginia Woof

more...
No comment yet.
Rescooped by Polina Hadjipanayiotou from Managing Technology and Talent for Learning & Innovation
Scoop.it!

Debunking the Left Brain and Right Brain Myth

Debunking the Left Brain and Right Brain Myth | Latest Research on Language | Scoop.it
The myth that creative people are 'right brained' and logical people are 'left brained' is a lie. Nick Skillicorn tries to find out the truth about how your brain generates ideas.

Via Carlos Fosca
Polina Hadjipanayiotou's insight:

Brain lateralization debunked

more...
Carlos Fosca's curator insight, January 18, 2014 10:05 PM

"While an IQ can be up to 80% determined by genetics, a person’s creativity is only likely to be 30% determined by genetics. The other 70% is determined by how they were nurtured in their upbringing. "

Rescooped by Polina Hadjipanayiotou from The Power of Language
Scoop.it!

Emotions in More than One Language

Emotions in More than One Language | Latest Research on Language | Scoop.it

When bilinguals' childhood lacks of affection, they may prefer to express emotion in their second language.


Via Stacy Drinkwine Hauser
more...
WalkerKyleForrest's curator insight, March 21, 2014 10:22 AM

Many children are forced to learn a different language from what they grew up with. With this setback, many of their feeling cannot be seen, in a negative way. But as  they accomadate to their languages, they can begin to comprimise and solve problems, live happily ever after.

BandKids13-14's curator insight, April 3, 2014 10:24 AM

I have met people that aren't from America that speak Spanish, and when they get mad or excited then they speak in their native language. I didn't know that some people didn't do that. It's weird that some people switch languages while they are mad or excited. My mind doesn't even work that fast on my first language. It's amazing how the human mind works.

~Jessica 

shamlabeth's curator insight, April 14, 2014 11:35 AM

In some cases when people are able to speak more than one language and they are in pain, in trouble, are sad, or are angry they some times use other languages then the one they grew up learning. Sometimes it is easier expressing yourself using a foreign language. Using a foreign language sometimes  helps expressing yourself easier .~Amanda

Rescooped by Polina Hadjipanayiotou from Metaglossia: The Translation World
Scoop.it!

Moravia Forecasts Top 2014 Language Industry Trends

Moravia Forecasts Top 2014 Language Industry Trends | Latest Research on Language | Scoop.it
NEWBURY PARK, Calif., Jan. 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ The New Year brings a wealth of new opportunities for the localization and translation industry.

Via Charles Tiayon
Polina Hadjipanayiotou's insight:

Language Industry trends for 2014

more...
Charles Tiayon's curator insight, January 23, 2014 10:40 AM

NEWBURY PARK, Calif., Jan. 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ The New Year brings a wealth of new opportunities for the localization and translation industry. And Moravia, a leading provider of globalization solutions, has identified major trends that will impact growth in 2014.

"The explosion in new technologies and social media communication is causing unprecedented demand for professional language services," Renato Beninatto, CMO of Moravia said. "We're going to see major growth in the industry this year, and as mobile technology and social communications continue to expand into other markets, demand for localized language solutions could literally skyrocket."

According to the Washington, D.C.-based National Council for Languages and International Studies, the combination of public- and private-sector language-related initiatives has grown into a $25 billion enterprise in the United States. Much of the sector's growth, Beninatto says, comes from major U.S. brands that are looking for ways to globalize their presence.


Read more about Moravia Forecasts Top 2014 Language Industry Trends - BWWGeeksWorld by www.broadwayworld.com