Whether on business travel or vacation, you don’t want to worry about the security of your devices when you connect to the internet. Using a WiFi network in a café, airport, or hotel is a serious security risk that requires additional protection to secure your data and computer.
1. Hides your data from thieves – a VPN encrypts your public WiFi communications. That means that someone snooping on you will see a bunch of gibberish instead of your email, files, passwords, etc.
2. Keeps eavesdroppers from listening to your VOIP calls – a VPN makes your voice or video conversations through the internet using Skype or Viber, for example, safe and secure by encrypting your conversation. This allows you to talk to people without fear of being eavesdropped on by cybercrooks, your ISP, and even the government!
3. Stops search engines from logging your searches – Search engines like Google or Bing keep track of your search history and attaches this information to your IP address and sends it to other websites. This can be used to customize advertising and future searches. A VPN prevents tracking by masking your real IP address.
4. Lets you download/upload files privately – Whether you are sharing sensitive business plans, divorce documents, or whatever - a VPN can be worth the money spent for the privacy and protection from surveillance.
5. Secures your login details to personal accounts You are at risk when the public WiFi network doesn’t require a password, has only WEP encryption, or only a login/password combination like you often see at hotels. When you log into a public WiFi network, and then connect to a VPN, all of your web use is encrypted and hidden from prying eyes.
6. Makes your browsing anonymous – Don’t worry that your online obsessions will be discovered. A VPN cloaks your IP address so you can keep your private searches private. Connecting to a VPN server also allows you to bypass censorship restrictions so you can access the WWW without restrictions or government eavesdropping.
BONUS REASON – Access Geo-Blocked Websites
When traveling, you may have noticed that some sites like Netflix, Pandora, and Hulu are blocked because of region restrictions. A VPN lets you connect to a server in a different country, so you can access your sites without problem.