A remote beach in Sicily, Italy, was named on Thursday as the best beach in the world by a survey of travellers, while a UK beach managed to sneak into the top 10.
Rabbit Beach came top in the first annual awards for the world's best beach based on millions of reviews and ratings by international tourists on the TripAdvisor website.
Rabbit Beach, on the island of Lampedusa off the south coast of Sicily, was described as an unspoiled nature reserve that can only be accessed by boat and one of the few places in the Mediterranean where loggerhead sea turtles go to lay their eggs.[...]
"Rabbit Beach's is clearly a big hit with travellers and it's easy to see why with its stunning turquoise water and white sand," said TripAdvisor spokeswoman Emma Shaw.[...]
Shaw said this award would be a boost for Sicily's tourism.
TripAdvisor's list of the Top 10 beaches in the world:
- Rabbit Beach, Sicily - Italy
- Grace Bay, Providenciales - Turks and Caicos
- Whitehaven Beach, Queensland - Australia
- Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha - Brazil
- Flamenco Beach (Playa Flamenco), Culebra - Puerto Rico
- Playa de las Catedrales, Ribadeo - Spain
- Lopes Mendes Beach, Ilha Grande - Brazil
- Horseshoe Bay Beach, Southampton Parish - Bermuda
- Eagle Beach - Aruba
- Rhossili Bay, Rhossili, Swansea - Wales, UK