One of the 21st Century Literacies Howard Rheingold talks about is Crap Detection. Though I think the need for critical thinking or analysis has been around a long time, it has become increasingly ...
"The CRAP test is a way to evaluate a source based on the following criteria: Currency, Reliability, Authority and Purpose/Point of View. Below are some questions to help you think about how to measure each of the criteria.
- How recent is the information?
- How recently has the website been updated?
- Is it current enough for your topic?
- What kind of information is included in the resource?
- Is content of the resource primarily opinion? Is is balanced?
- Does the creator provide references or sources for data or quotations?
- Who is the creator or author?
- What are the credentials?
- Who is the published or sponsor?
- Are they reputable?
- What is the publisher’s interest (if any) in this information?
- Are there advertisements on the website?
Purpose/Point of View -
- Is this fact or opinion?
- Is it biased?
- Is the creator/author trying to sell you something?"
Via Ana Cristina Pratas