Honduras has a population of seven million people. 93% of Honduras is mestizo and the other 7% are other minority groups including Lencas, Chortís, Tolupanes, Pechs, Tawahkas, Garífunas, and Miskitos. In the 2001 national census minority groups made up half a million people (473,531). 50% of the population is under 19 years old and only 3% of the population is 65 or over. The ratio of men to women is approximately equal.