As Ebola continues to ravish Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia, people from all around the world are working together to stop the disease. In addition to the life saving work of medical staff, logisticians and community organizers, information and communication technology (ICT) is also playing a vital part in supporting their work. Below are six examples showing how ICT is already making a difference in the current Ebola crisis.
1. Tracing outbreaks with mapping and geolocation
2. Gathering Ebola information with digital data collection forms
3. Connecting the sick with their relatives using local Wi-Fi networks
4. Sharing and receiving Ebola information via SMS text messages
5. Mythbusting for diaspora communities via social media
6. Supporting translations of Ebola information remotely online