Gone are the days when planning and thinking were done mainly by pen and paper.Technology have made it pretty much easier to think in different other ways. Free mind mapping , brainstorming and concept mapping applications are ubiquitous online and more and more teachers are using them . The 21st century education is based , on a large part of it, on the visual output.
The benefits of graphic organizers in education
- Teachers can use graphic organizers to engage visual learners and help them organize their thoughts
- Graphic organizers help students make powerful connections between ideas and concepts
- They help students develop their convergent thinking by providing a framework for the development of new ideas through analysis, reflection and display.
- They also help students promote their divergent thinking by using such techniques as brianstorming to generate ideas.
- They can be used for developing vocabulary skills and improve reading, writing and communication skills.
- Students can easily learn new concepts and think in new novel ways using graphic organizers
- They help students focus on connections rather than words
- Finally , graphic organizers can help both teachers and students develop creative and critical thinking skills.
Via Gust MEES